Saxophone Forum

by Bass sax man
(31 posts)
19 years ago

Slide Saxophones

Hello, I was wondering if anybody knows of any slide saxophones other than the ones made by: Cleveland, Lyon and Healy, Reiffel and Husted, and Swanee. Does anybody know the difference between the Swanee models A, B, and C other than the size? Any help is appreciated!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxMan
    (559 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Slide Saxophones

I wouldnt bother with them - I played a lyon and healy I beleive it was and it was a total piece of .... - it sounded really bad and tuning was marginal at best. There is also the mellosax, but I am not sure who made that. The A, B and C part I cant imagine being simply model A - its too unpretentious i would think for an instrument manufacturer from that age - now it would be understandable on a horn made in new delhi. Perhaps it is the key? A and C are reasonable enough - if I am not mistaken, i was once showed an OLD clarinet, that I beleive was in the key of B - though I cant be certain - it wasnt your standard Bb, I know that, but it wasnt a soprano either. Theres a guy in new york that owns a shop called the village flute and saxophone shop, he has a couple, he might be able to tell you more - though if I remember right, none of his slide saxes worked - they were just collection pieces along with some adolphes.

Reply To Post

1. by Bass sax man
      (31 posts)

19 years ago

Slide Saxophones

Thanks for your reply... However, contrary to your beliefs not all slide saxophones are bad. My Swanee Model C slide saxophone is almost in perfect tune, but slight fluctuations can be fixed by adjusting the slide. As for the man in New York (Dr. Rick) he has a Reiffel and Husted slide sax and a Lyon and Healy Slide Sax. I am very sure that the Mellosax was made by Cleveland, but I may be wrong. I was just wondering if any other companies (besides the four listed above) made slide saxophones. Any help is appreciated!

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Slide Saxophones

Oh, well as far as I know those are it...I have heard of other brands,, but they werent made under regular production...some were almost without a doubt shop hobby jobs - they rather looked like the slide assembly (modded to take a m/p) off of a mini trombone fit on half a keyless soprano

Reply To Post