Saxophone Forum

by jjpeet
(2 posts)
10 years ago

Baritone Sax

Hi,  I'm 12 years old and in grade 8 band.  I've recently learned the Bari Sax and really want one for Christmas.  Can anyone help me with a list of what to buy with a price that won't make my mom pass out.

Thank you lots 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Baritone Sax

Just pick one out at random and run it by your mom.  If she passes out, you'll know it's not the right one.  Look for a less expensive one and repeat the process until she no longer passes out.  It might not be a good horn, but you'll at least have some idea of the budget you are working with.  And that's the first thing you will need when asking this sort of question on a forum.

Reply To Post

1. by jjpeet
      (2 posts)

10 years ago

Sorry. Her budget is $2500. 

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

10 years ago

I think Kelsey has given some good advice.  Getting a decent bari in good working condition, and suited for you individually, for $2500 would be tricky.  You might find a used American bari from the 1960s for that price, but then you'd probably get hit with a substantial bill for an overhaul as well.  Baris are expensive to maintain as well as to purchase.  Then there's a good chance that one of those older horns might not be suited for you.  Not a venture for the faint of heart.  Think long and hard about yourself as a bari player, your commitment level, what you would want from a horn you might own (compromises are everywhere), and what you would be willing to do to achieve it.  It's just not realistic to expect it to be delivered in a pretty package on Christmas day.

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

10 years ago

As a High School Band Director for several years I never had a kid buy his own Bari Sax. What would be wrong by just useing the schools Bari? Are you alowed to take it home to practice? $2500.00 is not much to spend on a Bari Sax but is a REALLY expensive Christmas present. You probably own an Alto already. You could practice that when you couln't use the schools. And what if your teacher decides to put another Sax player on the Bari instead of you and your $2500.00 Bari has to set in the case. If your Mom is wealthy and is willing to give in to your every whim then go on and get a Bari but get a Yamaha YBS 62. You can get one of those for about $7000.00

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM