Saxophone Forum

by T(s)a(x)ng Dynasty
(8 posts)
10 years ago

Mouthpiece setup

I'm using size 3 java reeds, what mouthpiece work well with these reeds? 150$ budget

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Mouthpiece setup

Mouthpiece choice entirely depends on the sound you are looking to get from the saxophone. Also, the same mouthpiece can sound widely different depending who is playing it. So, it's really a personal decision as to what mouthpiece to play.

I may sound like a cop out answer, but honestly, the best thing you can do is to find a local shop that stocks a decent selection of mouthpieces and play thorugh a few of them and select the one that seems to get the sound you are after and plays with a good response and easy feel. Most decent local shops will stock Vandoren (V16 ebonite or Optimum series), Otto Link, Meyer, Selmer S80 or S90. Also, if the shop is hip enough, also check out Berg Larsen, Jody Jazz or MACSAX.

Happy Hunting!!!

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by T(s)a(x)ng Dynasty
      (8 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Mouthpiece setup

I know this question is not related to the original, but you seem like a saxophone expert. So my teacher said that overtone exercises are a great way to improve your tone, but how does it affect it (strength, easier the play notes) ? Also what are some other ways to work your tone? Thanks very much.

Reply To Post