Saxophone Forum

by jon henri
(19 posts)
10 years ago

microphones for a saxophone

so, im in the market for microphone for my saxophones. not knowing much about microphones, im wondering if anyone could point me in the the right direction for a wireless clip on microphone system and also a recording microphone and setup that's compatible with pc's. thank you all for any input you may give me. jon

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

10 years ago

Re: microphones for a saxophone

With regard to a PC recording setup, there are a variety of ways you can go, depending on what your budget and objectives are and how controlled your recording environment is.  For basic playback of your practice with reasonable fidelity, the simplest and most economical setup is a USB mic that plugs directly into your PC. If you're going to be recording in a less than perfect acoustic environment, a gain control or pad switch is a good feature.  A headphone jack is good if you're going to record yourself over backing tracks.  There are some good ones with either or both of those features available for between $100-$200.  Here's a place to get started in selecting the USB mic for you.

http://www.bestsaxophonewebsiteever.com/revolutionize-your-playing-with-home-recording-the-outrageously-easy-way/

The most full-featured mic in that range is the Blue Yeti - multiple pick-up patterns, gain control, zero latency headphone jack.  Quite reasonably priced.

The Audio Technica AT2020 USB Plus doesn't have the gain control or the multiple pickup patterns, but it has a larger condenser capsule that yields a little warmer recording.  Costs more than the Blue Yeti, but still a good deal.  

If you're all about recording quality and don't mind doing without a headphone jack, the AKG Perception 120 USB is a good option.  It has a -20dB pad switch and 24 bit D/A converter, while the above two have 16 bit converters.  Price is comparable to the Blue Yeti.

If you don't mind breaking the $200 barrier you can get all of the features of the Blue Yeti, plus 24 bit D/A fidelity and an XLR output (so you can use it with mixers and such) with the Blue Yeti Pro.  Definitely one to consider if you think you might use your mic for more sophisticated recording in the future.

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
    (842 posts)

10 years ago

duplicate post

Reply To Post

3. by Haanzig
    (19 posts)

10 years ago

Before I started using the Samson Concert 77 wireless system, I was using a vintage Shure 545s . It has a great warm sound for the sax. They're available on ebay once in awhile, but shop around . . . It's actually the predecessor to the Shure SM57, which was long considered the standard for instrument micing . . .The Samson Concert 77 is what I use on stage, but I use it in the studio on occasion as well . . Happy hunting ! Hope this was a help . . .

Reply To Post AIM

4. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

10 years ago

For recording I use a Rode Condencer mike. For live playing I like the K&K silverbullet (for both flute and sax).

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by jon henri
      (19 posts)

10 years ago

thanks for your reply. are those shure wireless mics good for recording, like the Shure PGX14/BETA98 or are they just for play/ amplification. be nice to find one that's works for both. i'm using cubase le to do my recording. i hate that hiss sound that i hear from every sax recording ive ever heard. pro alike. is it just wind passing through the sax or wind leaking around mouthpiece or etc.?

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

10 years ago

If you don't like the sound of every recorded sax you have ever heard, why are you a sax player?

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by jon henri
        (19 posts)

10 years ago

that's not what i said. and are you trying to start an argument. must be your selective perception. i said in plain english, i dont care for the hissing noise i hear from the sax, the rest sounds great. i would appreciate only positive feedback, as would anybody else in the forum. why are you so negative?

Reply To Post

3. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

10 years ago

Sorry, I thoght you said you hate the hissing sound of every sax you have heard in recordings...............wait!! isn't that what you said?

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM