Saxophone Forum

by lisaboillot
(2 posts)
10 years ago

Buescher alto sax

I have my great grandad's Buescher True-tone alto sax which my grandma also played and now its my turn!  I am a beginner on the sax (but have played piano for 7 years) .  My grandma just gave me her old sax... How old is it if the serial is 141904 and where should i look for information on it? Its pretty much needing work it looks like...

Thanks
Claes

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by lisaboillot
    (2 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Buescher alto sax

ps i am 12 years old

Reply To Post

1. by Gregory Butko
      (8 posts)

10 years ago

The Buescher True Tone was a professional instrument in its day.  It is favored by classical players, wheras the Conns are preferred by jazz players.

The action is clunky compared to a modern saxophone, but if properly set up (pads and action), and with a proper mouthpiece, the True Tone has a very mellow tone.  I started on a True Tone from the Twenties, and I play a True Tone baritone from 1927.  I just love the tone of that bari!

You have a fine instrument.

Reply To Post

2. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

10 years ago

Your great grandpa's/grandma's sax dates to 1923 making it 90 years old. Check out the factory tours section of the museum area on this web site (see link below). There's a video from 1924 that shows how your saxophone would have been made and great photos of the Buescher factory back in the day.

http://www.saxophone.org/museum/factoryTour/manufacturer/16

The Buescher True Tone saxophones tend to have a very sweet sound. The core sound is a bit on the smaller side compared to today's instruments and the keywork is terribly antiquated. Also, intonation is, how shall we say, "malleable". However, it was certainly a top of the line saxophone for its day and you have some wonderful family history with it.

ENJOY!!!

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post