Saxophone Forum

by SYNCHROJAMES
(4 posts)
10 years ago

when CONN dropped rolled tone holes & micro tuner

I am a volunteer at the Museum of Making Music in Carlsbad, CA.  There are plans to reconfigure the galleries, and those of us on the curatorial support team were asked to each pick three instruments, do a short bio and why we would like them in the new setup.  As I posted here previously, I have a 1925 Conn C melody, and would like to see the '23 on display at the museum stay.  I tried the CONN-SELMER website-no phone # or email-just a sign up for a newsletter.  My question to everyone is when did CONN stop using drawn & rolled tone holes, as well as the micro-tuner?  we have a 1940 alto in another gallery, and it still has those features So they were deemed worth the effort even through the depression.  Any help or suggestions as to where to look will be greatly appreciated
James 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

10 years ago

Re: when CONN dropped rolled tone holes & micro tuner

The rolled toneholes were discontinued around 320,000, which puts it some time in 1947.  The Conn gallery on this site has examples from that period with serial numbers, so you can see how the features evolved.  There are also lots of pictures of Conns from the period in question at Saxpics.com.  Not sure about the microtuner, but the galleries might reveal something along those lines too.

Don't believe the story about there being an accident or fire that destroyed the molds for the RTH Conns.  The change was one of a series of cost-cutting measures.  The first feature to be eliminated was the forked Eb key per the Conn gallery on this site. There was also a subtle change to the design of the LH pinky cluster around that same time.

Reply To Post

2. by qbaker
    (7 posts)

10 years ago

You should find this write up helpful: Particularly the (last) paragraph. 
    http://www.saxgourmet.com/conn__saxophones.htm

Reply To Post

1. by SYNCHROJAMES
      (4 posts)

10 years ago

Thanks everyone!

I believe all the info I've been given should do the trick for my "paper".
      James 

Reply To Post