Saxophone Forum

by GFC
(842 posts)
10 years ago

cybersax.com

The original cybersax.com website is offline.  The wealth of information from that site has been preserved in a snapshot by archive.org.

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807161606/http://www.cybersax.com/ 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

10 years ago

Re: cybersax.com

And it is greatly missed. I worked on a number of horn restorations for and with Bear ending a year or so prior to his stroke. His knowlege and skill was extraordinary. I could not have become the restorer I am today without his input and mentoring. Cybersax is a cornerstone of what the internet vintage saxcophone market has become today. Thanks for the link to the information.

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
      (842 posts)

10 years ago

Bear was the real deal.  His passing is a reminder of what a small and precious group absolute top-level techs - the ones who really dig in to understand things, educate others, and push the state of the art forward -  are.  And his site provided an invaluable legacy that is, fortunately, preserved.  

Mark - since cybersax.com is one of the links under the Resources tab of this site, you might want to replace it with the link  provided above.

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

10 years ago

Passing was not something I was aware of. Bear and I worked back and forth for a number of weeks trying to figure out the one handed f mezzo he had in his inventory. So much that he mentioned me and thanked me for my input directly on his website. Now probably a permanent record in the scheme of all of our Saxual Pleasures, as Barry liked to call it. Who it may have been developed for, etc. I was blessed enough to be so liked by him that he shared a number of his restoration secrets with me. Loosening locked in screws to avoid the inevitable popping off a post to releave the screw, moving metal, soldering at low temps to keep laquer intact, secrets of a good heat gun. I was blessed to know a man I never met in person. The last email I had sent him went unanswered. He thought highly of you Mark and mentioned you and your spouse on more than one occasion. I didn't mean for this to turn into some sort of Memorial for Barry "Bear" Wilson, but it is more than well deserved.....

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
          (420 posts)

10 years ago

Woah......I had not heard that Barry Wilson had passed away. Can anyone confirm or refute this? It would be a real tragedy for the sax community. The phone number that I have on file for him doesn't work and have not heard a response from email yet. The Cybersax website and the Saxquest web site went up around the same time in 2000 and Bear and I have referred business back and forth for years.

Thanks,
               Mark Overton
               www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
          (842 posts)

10 years ago

Encountered one passing reference to him passing in 2011 after a heart attack.  Maybe it's just an unconfirmed rumor.

Reply To Post

3. by Saxquest
          (420 posts)

10 years ago

Just confirmed by doing an online newpaper search. I didn't locate an obituary, but the September 8, 2013 Tulsa World had this in their death notices:

Wilson, Barry, 65, saxophone repairman, died Thursday. Services pending. Ninde Brookside.

A sad day for the saxophone community. Bear and I had several great talks regarding saxophone history and repair. Barry, you will be missed!!

Mark Overton
          www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post