Saxophone Forum

by Armstrong Alto!
(19 posts)
20 years ago

C-Melody Mouthpiece?

Does anyone know where i can find one? i have an old mystery brand c-melody sax that, if i ever get it working, i will need a mouthpiece for. Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Bass sax man
    (31 posts)

20 years ago

C-Melody Mouthpiece?

I believe J.J. Babbitt makes one... though I am not sure. Kermit Welch might make one... he makes Mezzo-Soprano and C-Soprano saxophone mouthpieces.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

20 years ago

Re: C-Melody Mouthpiece?

babbit does make one - under meyer, but the only person to really have the c-mel mouthpiece down is Ralph morgan.

Reply To Post

1. by Hexaclon
        (90 posts)

20 years ago

Can you use a tenor mouthpiece ob a C-melody? Sorry for my stupid question I really don't know mutch about vintage saxes. Thanks

Reply To Post AIM

1. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

absolutely - I am told the old metal selmers work REALLY good. you just have to get a fairly small chambered one or your tuning can get kind of funny, it would just be a matter of putting thicker cork on the crook, which is about a 5-10 minute deal.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

I used to play a 1950's Selmer Soloist on mine with great success. Medium or smaller chambered tenor pieces might work ok. It's tough to set up a C to play in tune to begin with.

Reply To Post

3. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

I just found somehting yesterday, my conn plays ABSOLUTELY marvelous with my rousseau NC and hand select reeds - it didn't play worth a damn on anything else.

Reply To Post

4. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

20 years ago

The two best MODERN C Melody mouthpieces that I have tried are those made by MORGAN and RUNYON. I have used both makes successfully on my CONN curved neck and straight neck model horns, as well as a MARTIN C Melody in my collection. Actually these mouthpieces work FAR better than any of the vintage CONN and BUESCHERE pieces I own.

Reply To Post