Saxophone Forum

by lisao
(2 posts)
10 years ago

king h n white cleve'd o. ser # 84000

Just bought this as a grad present 4 our son. We r guitar people and know nothing about sax.{Well... maybe we do... we do have eight kids!} Just kidding! RELAX!!! Think it is from 1925, maybe silver solid, but no mouth piece. Want it playable 4 him. It was almost solid black but w/ silver cleaning came up w/ names and design on horn. Was in a Martin/wurlitzer case that seems fr.the period but obviously wasnt the original case as doesnt sit snug w/horn. Any info out there from u all would b appreciated greatly. reguards, the O'Rourke Family Deep South Texas, USA could send pics if that would help anyone w/ any thoughts on this one to help narrow things down in yr. mind. Thank you.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

10 years ago

Re: king h n white cleve'd o. ser # 84000

Hi Lisa-

This is a 1925 vintage saxophone manufactured by the HN White company. If you could post a few pics, it would be nice. However, these are typically not sought after because King saxophones at this time were still pretty antiquated. King really did not start making a saxophone of note until the 1940's-50's. Comparing a 1925 King alto with a modern day student model saxophone, there's really no comparison as to which is the better musical instrument. The modern horn wins on all fronts. The older King altos of this era play fairly poorly in tune and they are difficult to get around on. Also, once you put the money into restoring it, you'll be hard pressed to get much of that money back out of it when it comes time to sell. Just as a quick note, its not solid silver. Its silver plated brass.

Since this is for your child and you want your son to succeed, I would strongly recommend finding a different saxophone for him. I'm afraid that this one may only bring him frustration and ultimately hold him back from his potential.

The other problem with these horns is they really need to be restored by someone who knows vintage instruments. If you take this horn into a local music instrument rental shop its likely that it will not be restored properly. 

I'm sorry for the poor report, but I've seen it happen before where older horns that are not really good players get into the hands of students only to find the student quitting music shortly thereafter.......

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by lisao
      (2 posts)

10 years ago

Re: king h n white cleve'd o. ser # 84000

Thank you for the information! It was very helpful to know esp. the frustrtion level it may have cost him. Will still try 2 update w/photos. Reguards, lisao

Reply To Post