Saxophone Forum

by Jack Cici
(87 posts)
20 years ago

I really need peoples opinions on sax mutes!

i am about to buy a sax mute, but before i by i'd like some other peoples opinions

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by fenchurch502
    (4 posts)

19 years ago

Re: I really need peoples opinions on sax mutes!

I use a mute for classical playing, and find it's extremely helpful for low notes, especially when playing softly. You don't have to put forth any extra effort to keep it sounding and in tune. You can make a mute, though, out of ribbon wrapped around some pipe cleaners. It's much cheaper. :)

Reply To Post

2. by Armstrong Alto!
    (19 posts)

20 years ago

Dude.....again....THEY DON'T EXIST. If someone actually did make one, they are gonna make money off of a gulliable person

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
      (297 posts)

20 years ago

They existt, and just keep to one topic for one discussion forum. It kinda gets annoying when the same topic is on the same page. no offense though. Back to mutes, Read the page we responded for you in High School Saxophone. Thanks.

Reply To Post

1. by Jack Cici
        (87 posts)

20 years ago

yeah i'm sorry for keeping repeating the same topic, it's just i really needed an answer thanks David

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

Yes, there are sax mutes, but they only improve intonation and response in the lower register, they don't change tone like a brass mute. Classical musicians tend to use them more. You aren't going to need one.

Reply To Post

2. by Jack Cici
          (87 posts)

20 years ago

I KNOW I DON'T NEED ONE BECAUSE I ALREADY HAVE GOOD INTONATION AND RESPONSE IN THE LOWER REGISTeR.

Reply To Post

3. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

20 years ago

yea, and they're a waste of money for someone in eighth grade, (like me.) I don't really find response that bad anymore. It seemed like after a month of sax, I could get the whole range out. But on some saxes like jupiters, i can't. I guess it's just quality. Yea, mutes are useful for pro people, but not me. I actually found Larry Teal's writeup on mutes interesting, but never useful for me.

Reply To Post

4. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

Dave, chill out. Or maybe the caps wasn't supposed to be yelling, I'm not sure. Anyway, it's a little cocky to say you all ready have good intonation and response in the lower register, the guys I play with have been playin all their lives, and they wouldn't just go out and say that, because you can always improve.

Reply To Post

5. by Armstrong Alto!
          (19 posts)

20 years ago

Thank you golfman! You have spoken very wise words of.....uh.....wisdom. i got nothing.

Reply To Post

6. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

I use a piece of bubble wrap (not the kind with the really big bubbles) formed into a tube as a mute. Looks funky but it's cheap as heck and works like a charm. For alto, it's only about 2 1/2 inches tall and just big enough to fit just inside the bell flare. It is open in the center so my horn doesn't turn into a Low A horn. I know people that play with the traditional velvet covered ring and it just sound stuffy. Mine is subtle. Takes just the top edge off.

Reply To Post

7. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

Maniac, you've got a clever solution for everything. From leak lights, to mutes.

Reply To Post

8. by NickelPlated
          (20 posts)

20 years ago

^^** NO Use of Sax Mutes Bud**^^

hi I own a Maxtone Nickel plated alto, and i just recently bought a mute for it. I find no use for them at all, so dont make a mistake like i did of buying a mut Thanks and **good luck**

Reply To Post

9. by Saxman2200
          (64 posts)

19 years ago

Re: ^^** NO Use of Sax Mutes Bud**^^

Dude you got ripped. Everbody listen, for future reference. DON'T BUY CHEAP IMITATION STENCIL INSTRUMENTS, THEY ARE CRAP. Maxtone, Helmke, Monique, and any other asian cheapo sax is a waste of your time money and possible talent. If I where you I'd retest your theory whith a worthy sax. I personally like the sound of a muted sax, it sounds more refined. It's all up to you though. I think if you do go with a mute however, buy a shower ring and some fabric and make your own. Most simple accesories like that are better if you make them yourself.

Reply To Post

10. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

19 years ago

Re: ^^** NO Use of Sax Mutes Bud**^^

uhh, you missed this conv.

Reply To Post