Saxophone Forum

by moragburton
(2 posts)
10 years ago

Bluescher alto

High y'all.

I have just discovered an alto sax I had forgotten I had. I know it was played professionally back in the 60s and 70s. it is a Buescher Aristocrat 200, but what is confusing me is the serial number engraved between the thumb rest and the bottom of the bell - 1019887. This doesn't appear to fit with the charts.

It hasn't been played for many years and the lacquer is a bit speckled, but the pads seem OK and it has a good sound although the octave key is a flat 'wedge' levering to the left, which takes a bit of getting used to. 

Quite frankly, I'm not a good enough player to give it a proper appraisal and would appreciate any information anyone can put my way. It is in a  Buescher hard case with 'The Selmer Company' inscribed which I assume will be the original case ( it was owned by one of the  sax players in my dad's band).  

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxgourmet
    (127 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Bluescher alto

that's the same horn as a Bundy II, just labelled Buescher 200, so that the Buescher dealers would have something to sell to the student market....Selmer USA bought Buescher in 1963, and not all the pre-existing Buescher dealers were Selmer USA dealers

STEVE GOODSON
    New Orleans
    www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post

1. by moragburton
      (2 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Bluescher alto

Thanks for that Steve, going to go and give it a work out now to see if it's worth keeping for spare now I know it's not going to make my fortune!

Reply To Post