Saxophone Forum

by jeff99
(5 posts)
19 years ago

1956 Conn 6M Alto Sax

I just bought a 1956 Conn 6M recently in great condition.I have my tech going over it to get it in top playing condition.I am interested in hearing comments on these post WWII 6M saxes.Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

19 years ago

Re: 1956 Conn 6M Alto Sax

As a long time collector of vintage Conn saxophones, among others, I'd like to direct your attention to www.saxpics.com for excellent information on your horn and many others. This will answer many of your questions and is far more concise than posting a lenghty answer here. Best of luck. Mike

Reply To Post

1. by jeff99
      (5 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for your reply Mike.I went to the saxpics website and it is definitely a cool site.Do you or anyone else on this forum have any experience with this vintage sax? I am interested in hearing the setups used and other playing characteristics of the 1956 6M. Thanks.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

19 years ago

Yes, I have Conn "M" Artist series horns from 1933 to 1967, although most are 10M tenor and 12M Baritone models. The post 1947 non rolled tone hole model "ladyface" Conn's aren't as desirable from a collectors point of view, but make great players none the less. You will find this Pro model to excell in all regards not withstanding the lesser value price wise. I would recommend a large bore, low baffle vintage design mouthpiece for this horn , such as a Meyer, vintage Runyon, OTTO LINK (Hard Rubber in the case of the Alto, Metal pieces don't seem to work the same on Alto's as they do on Tenor withen the same model MP) etc. As I mentioned earlier, the snob appeal of the earlier model "Ladyface" horns among collectors tends to overshadow these later vintage horns, but I can assure you from experience with just about every vintage incarnation of this horn, these post rolled tone hole horns are terrific players, and pro horns all the way. Along with The Martin Committee horns, you will find them to be the BEST value for the money in a Professional, great playing vintage Saxophone. Enjoy your great sounding/playing Conn 6M!

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

I forgot to add the Buescher True Tone and Aristocrat to the list of Best Value for the Money list above. These are superb horns as well, and can be had for very little money.

Reply To Post

2. by jeff99
          (5 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for your insight Mike.I have a 1924 Wonder Alto(pre Chu as they say)in which I use a Jody Jazz MP which is basically a Runyon.It does however have a couple intonation quirks with the micro tuner neck.Still a great horn,nevertheless.I understand that the post WWII 6M's arent as desirable as the ones from the 1930's,but it wasnt as pricey.I am glad to hear that the later 6M's are still great horns.Thanks again for your reply. Jeff

Reply To Post