(5 posts)

16 years ago

Re: P. MAURIAT SAXOPHONES

Reply To Post

2. by jazzfool132
    (144 posts)

19 years ago

P. mauriats hmm i have heard that they are a good cheaper pro series but i dont know about their quality i would like to know more about them as well

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

19 years ago

they are actually supposed to be pretty good - never heard one yet. quality I understand is similair to cannonball except they arent obnoxiously bright and loud and hollow.

Reply To Post

1. by jazzfool132
        (144 posts)

19 years ago

there is a site for P. Mauriat instruments and they were recommended by Sax Alley.com for $1590(alto) and somewhere around $1890 for a tenor. i have heard it is a decent horn with good intonation at a decent price.

Reply To Post

1. by Roderick
          (1 post)

19 years ago

Great, I will investigate further.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_rules
          (4 posts)

19 years ago

I own a mauriat tenor. Love it. I traded my serie 2 for it after playing Roger Greenberg's. (he's the main indorser of Mauriat, and was my prof. last year at UNC) They have a very dark full sound. I recommend anyone at least give them a try.

Reply To Post

3. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

19 years ago

you didnt trade straight across did you?

Reply To Post

4. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

Greenberg's quite a fantastic player. I know he used to play a VI with the Harvey Pittel group, but does he still? Or does he use a Mauriat with that group now?

Reply To Post

5. by sax_rules
          (4 posts)

19 years ago

I didn't trade right off. I received the Mauriat w/ Tim's new horn set up, plus $200.00. My selmer was in decent condition, it just didn't have the tone of the Mauriat. I believe Greenberg still plays with the Pittel quartet. He has for a while, but now that we have a new prof at UNC I'm not exactly sure. If you are interested in trying a Mauriat I would definatly go through Tim at sax alley. He's the best I've ran into. Best of luck

Reply To Post

6. by Brandty
          (4 posts)

19 years ago

I was able to play one one of them and it has an awsome sound for both jazz and concert its very vercitile sp? I also tested it for intonation and i was very pleased to fine ALL 3 C#'S IN TUNE. Including the rest of the horn. The low B flats came out with out much more than a breath it was awsome. The dealer that let me play also let me compare it to the Selmer paris and I found them to be almost exactly the same for half the price. Overal what i can say is this instrument was very well made and is perfect for anyone looking for a step up model.

Reply To Post

7. by mrd
          (137 posts)

19 years ago

What about these: DC PRO SILVER & GOLD TENOR SAX

Since they are all made in Taiwan, Dominic of course says his will stand up to all. Can anyone give me a comparison on the DC series, compared to the Mauriat and/or Cannonball.

Reply To Post

8. by sax_rules
          (4 posts)

19 years ago

Mauriat tops all those

I owned a cannonball back in highschool and found them to be far superior to DC pro and monique. When I wanted to step up from the cannonball I tried about 8 tenors. I went with the serie II for awhile but found the Mauriats to have way better intonation, and overall sound. I purchased my Mauriat tenor from Tim with a trade of my serie II. Since last year the only comparable tenors I've played have been nice Mark VIs, which were at least 1500 to 2000 more. Hope this helps, but make sure you try as many as possible. I pick my mauriat out of a lot of five.

Reply To Post

9. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Mauriat tops all those

I've written so many posts of these cheap horns! They're not worth the cost of shipping! Jsut don't buy them! If it's made in China or Taiwan, you don't want it, no matter what the name is on it. They keep trying to come up with new American sounding names for the same garbage. And then there's Selmer who owns EVERYTHING. Selmer is even marketing some of this junk under the names they've bought and desecrated....like the Conn 37M. Some of the cheaper Selmers, like the AS 500 are made in Taiwan! I would not buy a damn Selmer either! If you want a good horn with a sound that will raise the hairs on the back of your neck, buy an old Conn, Buescher, King, or Martin, put some money into it and have it restored to like new. These old horns were quality and in good condition, I think they play better than anything you could buy today. If you've convinced that you need a new horn, buy a Yamaha, Keilwerth, or a B&S.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

10. by sax_rules
          (4 posts)

19 years ago

Good points connsaxman, but have you played the MAURIAT

It is true if you are lucky to find an old conn or king super 20 that plays.... amazing. I tried a King super 20 alto that just sang. The action was for crap though, same on ALL the martins tenors I tried. Sure you can spill thousands into restoring old martins and such. But I say..... play ALL the horns you can and judge on what sounds the best for you. I've noticed selmer's lack in craftsmanship, I've played many serie IIIs. And it is funny that you mention yamahas are decent new horns, because you're right. ALL my horns, with the exception of my tenor are yamaha. Even tried four yamaha tenors before the mauriats. And based on feel, sound, and intonation, the mauriat just rocked. I wasn't even thinking about price, just what was right for me. Got to give it a try before you judge it man. And yes, there are negative things to the mauriat. I find the tenors have more resistance than yamaha and selmer tenors. But the sound has so much depth to it. Yamaha tenors are thin sounding, a few 60's mark VIs I've tried have compared to my mauriat. But it's the thick buttery tone that mauriat gives me, and it's a great horn for both classical and jazz. That, for me, was hard to find.

Reply To Post

11. by piano/windman45
          (4 posts)

19 years ago

re: Connsaxmanjim

# 1: I havent tried the mauriats but ive heard amazing reviews on their sopranos....have any of u tried their PMSSA-64: the vintage dual neck.... #2: CONNMAN DOES P. MAURIAT SOUND AMERICAN TO YOU. ITS FRIGGIN FRENCH.

Reply To Post

12. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Re: re: Connsaxmanjim

The P Mauriat saxophones are decent. The post that you are referring to piano/windman45 was written in response to the question about the DC Pro, Cannonball and Monique. At the time I wrote that, I wasn't too impressed with Cannonball either. A lot has changed my mind about saxophones made in Taiwan since I wrote that. I have since played a few horns by Cannonball, Antigua Winds, and P Mauriat that played quite nice for the price. There are a lot of Chinese made saxophones with American sounding names, however, like Milwaukee comes to mind, or others like the Schill that says they are "German Engineered". There's even a horn called a Selman! Parents ask their child's band director what brand of horn he recommends, and he says Selmer, then a couple days later they're looking at saxophones online and see a Selman for under $300! "Oh, that's the brand the director recommended! I'll buy one of those!" And then, the parents are stuck with some cheap, piece of shit horn from China that falls apart within the first year, and the band director and the ebay seller both have a nice laugh at the buyer's expense!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

13. by themajorchord
          (2 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Good points connsaxman, but have you played the MAURIAT

Just wanted to add my thoughts on this subject. I personally searched High and low for an alto for several years that I thought was worth the expense. I played alot of Vi's, Super 20's, the lady Conns, and current Keilwerths and Yamahas. My favorites during this search were a late model SBA (very expensive !) and the new Yamaha Z. Then I came across the P. Mauriats and I believe they offer the biggest BANG for the buck. They all have great tone and the antique finish Custon Class models look awesome. I like these so much that I offer them through my music dealership called "The Major Chord". If anyone wants to play any of these and you are in the NY/NJ/PA/DE area, contact me to try them out.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

14. by salonpertuz
          (1 post)

19 years ago

Re: Good points connsaxman, but have you played the MAURIAT

i live in bergen county nj will lioke to try 2018731686 ed thanks

Reply To Post

15. by muscat
          (1 post)

18 years ago

Re: Mauriat tops all those

I have repaired a Keilwerth bari for one of the high schools.It is no doubt a student one with a low A. It is a Jupiter in Disguise.(Republic of China)-even down to the case it comes in. I heard the kid playing it .he actually had a good sound.

Reply To Post

16. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

18 years ago

Caveat Emptor - P. Mauriat

These horns are too new to the market to justify their rather high selling price considering where they are made. Unless you get excited by being a "gear pioneer" or self-tech your horns, you should not buy one unless you are getting it from a source that will accept returns within a reasonable time period. They look cool, though.

Reply To Post

2. by saxson
        (2 posts)

17 years ago

For those of you who have tried the P. M.'s, what is your opinion of the rolled tone holes? Are they worth the extra $3-400?

Reply To Post

1. by petejeffryes
          (2 posts)

17 years ago

The rolled tone hole saxes are quite different from the other P.Mauriat models. They have a darker more mellow sound with a little more resistence. If you are looking for a sound with less edge/brightness I'd say it is worth the extra.

Reply To Post

3. by Aristocrat
        (1 post)

17 years ago

Just purchased a PM system 76 tenor after trying a number of new and vintage horns. Have been playing a Buescher Aritstocrat for the last 30 years as the latest fad in popular horns have come and gone. This was the first horn that motivated me to pull out my credit card. It was probably the great sound for the price. The other comments are right on about the big, bright sound and the great intonation from top to bottom. I actually liked the action on the rolled tone model a little better but the sound on the 76 was incredible. I urge anyone thinking of picking up another horn to give these at least a try. I'm keeping my Buescher though, hard to let go.

Reply To Post

1. by swingstreet
          (315 posts)

17 years ago

I recently tried a Mauriat PMAX-66R alto sax, and it was the first time that I considered adding a new horn to my arsenal. I already have a 1945 Conn 6M and a 1954 The Martin Alto, both of which are killer horns. The Mauriat was the first modern horn I tried that matched these horns tonally but outdid them ergonomically. It sounded as good and played just as well as the Selmer Reference 54's I've tried. However, if you figure in the price, then it kicks Selmer's ass. Why pay twice as much if the Mauriat can do the same job? Also, the Mauriats are the most interesting and attractive looking new horns I've seen. I really believe they have successfully bridged the gap between the sound and looks of vintage horns with the ergonomics of modern horns. I'm saving money for one now.

Reply To Post

1. by TonyRiley
            (2 posts)

16 years ago

I have just bought Mauriat PMXT 66R tenor sax and with my Dave Guardala Studio mouthpiece gives me a great free blowing sound. I did find, however that I was catching the top Eb key when I was trying to play a top D ,which I cured by using a palm riser on the D key. I have owned Yamaha, Selmer Series 11 and Yanagisawa tenors and the Mauriat is the best sax I've ever tried. Go onto Sax.Co.UK website, listen to Andy Shepherd and Mornington Lockett playing one and listen to the great sound. Obviously these fine players would probably sound great on any reasonable sax but they are good and great value!

Reply To Post

2. by gravityneverwins
          (2 posts)

17 years ago

Do the 66R and 67R only come with white pearl keys? and do they come with the engraving?

Reply To Post

1. by swingstreet
            (315 posts)

17 years ago

The model I tried had engraving on the bell and the bell bow, as well as engraving on the inside rim of the horn. The pearls were a beautiful blue abalone swirl. A unique looking horn, and a great playing and sounding horn.

Reply To Post

1. by gravityneverwins
              (2 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks. How would you compare the P. Mauriat's to Borgani saxophones?

Reply To Post

1. by swingstreet
                (315 posts)

17 years ago

I really think that P. Mauriat saxes can stand up to any of the top horns on the market.

Reply To Post

2. by jazzyjohn
              (5 posts)

17 years ago

great i am 11 and i have one with a yanagisawa metal mouthpice and it sounds great i love it. it has a great vintige sound. and the quality is great i have the pmx-67r alto and it has i big full sound i think that they are betta that a selmer paris cos of the sound i love top stuff

Reply To Post

1. by Seano
                (132 posts)

17 years ago

I tried my friend's tenor, they are nice looking and give a big sound, yet I found the horn too dark for my liking. Great horn though. Sean

Reply To Post

2. by ContrabassSax
                (10 posts)

16 years ago

It's good to see that there are people my age just like me!

Reply To Post

3. by SAX4ME
              (6 posts)

17 years ago

I just bought a PMauriat PMXT-66R with Tim's 'new horn setup' from SaxAlley. It is the nicest tenor I have ever played! The lows are great and the highs are great! I would recommend this brand to anybody. LONG LIVE THE P!!!

Reply To Post

4. by selmer6player
              (2 posts)

17 years ago

Good for the price; just don't compare them to the Mark VI.

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
                (602 posts)

17 years ago

Yeh, Mark VIs are over-priced...

Reply To Post AIM

1. by ErikClarke
                  (1 post)

17 years ago

My P. Mauriat Sax is Spectacular

I too actually own a P. Mauriat Alto Sax. I play it every day (31 years of experience.) I've owned and played Selmer Super Balanced, Selmer Reference 54, Buescher 400, Conn Chu, Keilwerth Shadow and Selmer Super Action II horns. The bottom line is...if you can really play...you'll find that there's a extremely simple decision to be made when your wallet's on the line at an instument shop...forget brands, foo foo ads, online bickering and voodoo osmosis-like hopes of sounding like another guy that plays a certain model horn...the P. Mauriat just plain blows like a wall of sound sent down from heaven to break bonds, release joy, create peace on earth and manifest goodwill to all mankind! The descision to buy is based on how long you'd be willing to live while haunted by the resounding memory of such a fine instrument (the best I've ever played, including other instruments besides saxophone.) I hope that explains how outstandingly the P. Mauriat Alto sounds and plays.

Reply To Post

2. by custom82z4ever
                (5 posts)

16 years ago

I just thought it might be interesting to note that all of the people who were ranting and raving about the P Mauriats ie "ErikClarke," "swingstreet" etc have a post count equal to the post count in this thread. As much as I'd love to believe that PM's are legit, I have no reason to think that they are. However, this doesn't mean that they aren't. Just that I'd like to hear from a legitimate source that they're worth my hard-earned two thousand. By the way, not EVERYONE giving kind words to the PM saxes have a 1-4 post count. To you I thank you for the time and more trustworthy responses. Peace.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by ContrabassSax
                (10 posts)

16 years ago

I've read, heard, been told, and convinced that these are supposed to be some of the BEST saxophones in the whole world, if the not THE BEST. Several famous sax-players rave on and on about them. You should go to the P. Mauriat website.

Reply To Post

1. by sorrel6
                  (6 posts)

16 years ago

I have a Muariat that i bought at Sax alley,I just love it for what it is,its sound is different if you compare it to the Cannonbals or other horns-different horns for different types of music-I´ll never part with this sax.I´m using a fred rast on Tim´s advice,this mpc is great too,so the horn couldn´t sound better.I played it live 5 days ago,just awesome. Now I´m looking for a mpc to give the 66R a bit more brightness to make it a bit more versatile,Im looking for a metal one,either a guardala studio,a beechler or berg larsen.I would appreciate any advise on this.I tried a new berg the other day but it wasnt quite right for the tenor.Thanks in advance. Lu.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
                    (930 posts)

16 years ago

In this thread It seems to me that a lot of Muariat dealers are writing how much they enjoy their horns. Most of the comments are by people who haven't completely filled out their profile sheet. Where has honesty gone?.......Kelsey
                    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by sorrel6
                      (6 posts)

16 years ago

I´m no dealer,I live in sunny Spain.The Mauriat in my opinion is just a good sax,others might not even like it,it´s just my opinion.A friend likes the Cannonbal sound better and says the mark VI is the best sax he has tried,I just happen to like the mauriat 66R very much and i trully believe is a good horn.I´m just looking for some advise on mpcs for this tenor.

Reply To Post

2. by TonyRiley
                    (2 posts)

16 years ago

My email address is: [email protected]. I live in the UK and have recently bought a Mauriat PMXT -66R tenor and a PMXA -67R alto. On both these saxes I play original Dave Guardala Studio mouthpieces. This gives the dark sounds of the saxes more edge. I hven't tried other mouthpieces on my Mauriat saxes because I don't want to get into the ball game of trying to find a mouthpiece with the "magic sound" which is often unobtainable.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
                      (930 posts)

16 years ago

I use a Guardala MBll mouthpiece on my Mark Vl tenor to get a brighter sound. Why anyone wants a darker sound now I'll never know? We all play into mikes through sound systems these days, but I still like to hear the actual acoustic sound of the saxophone when I'm playing. (not just the sound coming out of the sound system) A darker horn and mouthpiece setup is harder to hear over the rest of the band. (has less presence) A brighter sound is easier to hear, has more presence. The old jazz guys had dark sounding horn set ups but the bands didn't play so loud back then. The Bass players used gut strings! The piano wasn't amplified! ect. Yamaha has it's act together by producing brighter sounding horns. Mauriat makes really beautiful horns but being darker sounding doesn't sound like a problem I'd want to deal with......Kelsey
                      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by sorrel6
                      (6 posts)

16 years ago

It´s a good point kelsey.,neverhteless I seem to manage playing my 66R live and even musicians love it.I´m now getting a guardala studio.The sound of the mauriat is just pleasant,people seem to like it.I still think that if I wanted more presence I would perhaps go for another Mauriat, a cannonball or a good mark VI.I sometimes wonder if there is a trully versatile sax,a sax that can be used for any style of music.

Reply To Post

3. by kelsey
                      (930 posts)

16 years ago

A good Mark Vl, set up right, is a very good horn for Jazz. My tenor has oversized metal resonators, roo pads and I play on my Gaurdala MBll mouthpiece. I get enough edge to cut through but the sound is not shrill. I can play Be Bop or Contemporary music and it works either way. Everyone's physical caracteristics are different and what works well for me may not work for anybody else. I don't play classical music on saxophone nor do I want too. I do play lots of wedding ceremonies and receptions but I am a flute player also and play it on those type gigs. The PM looks to be a good horn and I've heard lots of good things about it. If I ever have the misfortune to have my Mark Vl stolen I would certainly give one a try.....Kelsey
                      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

4. by sorrel6
                      (6 posts)

16 years ago

I´m also a flute player Kelsey,I play alto flute too,I get an amazing sound out of the alto flute,It´s a beautiful instrument.I believe the the ever lasting issue about the sound of different horns will never end.I love the sound of the super king 20,I absolutely love a good Mark VI and a I also like the cannonbals.For me there no better or worse sounds,just different.,I also think it depends on the player,I can get a bright sound with a fred rast-a jazz mpc- and a la voz reed if i want to with the mauriat 66R,it depends on how hard you blow and your embrochure,after all,different players sound different,it depends on your interpretation of sound,your ear,etc. I´d love to try a hotspur or silver plated cannonbal big bell,to see how I feel,they could just add some variety to one´s repertoir.I can appreciate the sound of Joe Henderson the same way as I appreciate Ed Calle, Brecker or Gerald Albright,this makes the world of Sax playing absolutely fascinating for me.

Reply To Post

5. by kelsey
                      (930 posts)

16 years ago

I couldn't agree more. Each person is different physically plus have their own concept of what they should sound like. We all just have to try to find our own sound. Atlo flute is really cool. I only play C flute. Have you ever listened to Ali Ryerson on alto flute. She is a really great jazz player. She has a web site and sells her CDs. I bought 4 of them and really enjoy her. It's hard to find someone to listen to on Alto flute playing jazz.........Kelsey
                      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

6. by sorrel6
                      (6 posts)

16 years ago

I´m going to say it loud and clear,I played the mauriat 66R live today..it sounded absolutely awesome,I didnt play any jazz tunes,i played it along with two electric guitars.,It´s a very good horn,no kidding. On alto flute I prefer kenny stahl,unfortunately not many good flute players around.

Reply To Post

7. by sorrel6
                      (6 posts)

16 years ago

On flute I like Rowland sutherland and Philip Bent.On tenor sax I like Jacques shwartz Bart apart from the known ones,also the jewish tenor on tour with hancock is a great one too,young guys and really good.

Reply To Post

3. by pescadoenazul
                    (2 posts)

16 years ago

i just bought a 66m tenor.. i LOVE the sound of it. and the brushed laquer looks beautiful. however the keys feel really heavy.. maybe i can get the spring tension adjusted?? i hope so. otherwise i think i may take it back. also the intonation is possibly a bit odd. with my old conn chu berry i found that from a low Bb to the octave up i would actually have to relax my embouchre ( on the octave ) quite a bit or i'd be sharp... with the mauriat i have to tighten up on the octave or its flat! i'm not sure if this is a good thing.. haha

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
                      (653 posts)

16 years ago

...i think id rather have a 6m than a 66m...

Reply To Post

2. by pescadoenazul
                      (2 posts)

16 years ago

hahaha sorry i meant 66r

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
                        (653 posts)

16 years ago

read my previous statement

Reply To Post

3. by Ezsax75
                      (1 post)

15 years ago

I played the alto and was very impressed i was sold on it and am looking to check it out

Reply To Post