Saxophone Forum

by zenosax
(15 posts)
10 years ago

Yamaha YAS 82Z

My Yamaha YAS 82Z is missing a resonator in the B key ( smallest key).  Is that the way is supose to be?  I checked my Yamaha Tenor Sax and it has resonators on all the pads. Will that affect the horn sound or intonation?  Please advise and thanks for the answers. 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Yamaha YAS 82Z

All of the upper stack pads on a Yamaha Custom YAS 82Z should come from the factory with installed resonators except for the very top pad (smallest key in the upper stack). From your description, I'm a bit unclear as to which pad you mean. The B key should have a reso, but the top upper stack key (smallest key) should not. See included photo!
         If your B key is missing a reso, then its likely that some shop changed that pad out at some time in the past and did so with a non-resonator pad (bad on them!!!). However, probably not going to have much, if any, impact on your overall sound and certainly won't affect intonation (unless they messed up the key height in the process). Still, its always bad form for a repair shop to change out a pad and replace it with a different pad/reso type. Boo Boo Boo!!!
         Even though your sound is most likely fine, I'm OCD enough that I would have it changed just so it didn't bother me. But if you're cool with it, roll with it for now and just have them swap it out next time your horn is in for maintenance.
         On the other hand, if its the top smallest key of the upper stack that has no reso, then you're fine!!!

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by zenosax
      (15 posts)

10 years ago

Hi Mark
      Thank you for the information.  It is the smallest key on the upper stack, so I guess am fine.

Thanks again,

Walter 

Reply To Post

2. by zenosax
      (15 posts)

10 years ago

Hello Mark,

I recently dropped my Soprano Sax (Yamaha 475) and bent some keys and a rod.
      How much does it cost to have the keys aligned and the rod straighten? 

Regards,

Walter 

Reply To Post