Saxophone Forum

by oomdelaooms
(1 post)
10 years ago

Is sharing a saxophone sanitary?

Hello,

We have recently moved to a new school district.  Currently we have a 10th grade bari sax player and 6th grade tenor sax player.  In the past, we have always rented school instruments for our kids. At the new high school, they do not have enough horns to go around.  There are 5 bari sax players and only 2 horns.  The band teacher is giving them a choice of sharing a horn (having their own mouthpiece, reeds, and neck strap) or renting a horn from the local music store.  Money is the issue here.  I costs $35 per year to rent from the school. If I rent from the music store it is $650 for 10 months all paid up front and then $65 per month after that.  Granted, the music store rental fees go toward owning the horn, minus a $10 service fee every month. What are anyone's thoughts? TIA

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Is sharing a saxophone sanitary?

Generally, there are no worries with sharing a saxophone, under normal circumstances. Make sure to always use your own reed/mouthpiece/ligature and be sure to swab the sax neck after use. That being said, if someone is sick, I would recommend they not play the shared horn until they were well again. Also, if its a bari sax that doesn't have an octave key on the neck, you could wash the neck out with hot water and soap after use (just be careful about submerging the neck cork). If it does have an octave pad, just cover the octive pip with saran wrap so water doesn't leak onto the pad and then wash the neck out.

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post