Saxophone Forum

by ijamsmike
(2 posts)
9 years ago

Worth repairing?

Hi there, I am new to saxophones - my daughter plays. I have come into the possession of my daughter's great grand fathers Beuscher C-Melody (1925 - based on serial number). To me, an untrained individual, this horn appears to be in pretty good shape. I know it needs new cork on the neck and most likely needs new pads. I have the original mouth piece even. My question is, what should I expect to pay to have this horn made "playable" assuming it is in reassembly good condition?

Thanks for the help! 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Worth repairing?

Have it inspected by a competent repair technician for an estimate of "playing condition" restoration rather than a full overhaul.  C-melody saxophones generally don't have a lot of market value - a few hundred in top condition, - unless there's something that makes a particular horn stand out, which that one doesn't.  It might be a good horn for casual playing, but an advancing player will encounter the limitations of its antiquated keywork.

Reply To Post

1. by ijamsmike
      (2 posts)

9 years ago

Thanks for the reply.  This horn has sentimental value more than anything else.  After some cleaning the horn actually plays!  It has one pad that leaks a bit but I think it sounds pretty good.  My daughter wants the horn for a change and something else to mess around with.  But I do plan on taking to have it looked at.

I took it to one shop before it was cleaned up and was told that it belonged on the wall as an ornament and nothing more.  Guy quoated me a figure over a grand to get in "playing shape".  I will never go to that shop again....  Since then I have talked to a couple of others who actually love restoring vintage horns but I have not had a chance to drop by to see them yet.  

Thanksa again for the reply. 

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

9 years ago

Sounds like the first shop quoted an overhaul price.  It may have been a miscommunication. A better approach might be to set your budget first, then ask what various shops can provide for that amount.  Knowing what each shop can provide for a specified dollar amount is a better way to evaluate who provides the best deal.  A minimal estimate for a general category of work might reflect a sub-minimal scope of work.  That's something I found out the hard way - a low priced "overhaul" that went south in a couple of years.  

Reply To Post