Saxophone Forum

by mgictwnger
(46 posts)
9 years ago

Selmer (Paris) 2015 Limited Edition alto

I have just come across a page on the Selmer site about a limited edition alto commemorating the 200th birthday of Adolphe Sax;
http://www.selmer.fr/instruinfo.php?page=NEW&famille=SELMER%20SAX

From doing a bit of Googling, it seems that the horn has not been released yet, at least in the US, and will sell for around $7400. The sax IMHO is beautiful to look at, the technology is an interesting mix of old and new designs, and I sure would like to check one out.
Also, the stock mouthpiece seems to be close to Sax's original design.

Anybody have any thoughts? 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Selmer (Paris) 2015 Limited Edition alto

I'll be checking out the new horn this week at teh Midwest show and I'll give a follow up report here. I do have two on order here at Saxquest. We expect delivery some time before the end of the year or early in January. Look forward to trying it out. It does look very interesting.

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by mgictwnger
      (46 posts)

9 years ago

Mark, 

Thanks for the reply, I'll have to take a ride over to your shop to check it out.

Reply To Post

1. by mgictwnger
        (46 posts)

9 years ago

Mark,

Have you been able to check out this horn? 

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
          (420 posts)

9 years ago

I just had the first opportunity to play it at the NAMM show two days ago. Its really a very interesting saxophone. It has a sweet core sound and is extremely responsive. It has kind of a light sound with a west coast vibe. I love the fact that Selmer has made a saxophone that is cut from a different cloth. They will be limiting production to just 400 units. We expect to have one here at the Saxquest shop in the next couple weeks.

Cheers,
               Mark Overton
               www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

2. by Simpaw
        (2 posts)

9 years ago

It's just shown up at sax.co.uk and it's scaring me how few will be available and the price.  My manic brain wants one SO MUCH yet part of me thinks it best to leave them for the true professionals and gods of the sax world.  If you click on the US flag the price for us in the USA is $6510 in USD.  Since this store has TONS of saxes the fact that they're only being allowed 3 of them from Selmer means there will be VERY few.  Rumor has it there will be 200 of them??  I hope not. 

Reply To Post

1. by mgictwnger
          (46 posts)

9 years ago

I clicked the US flag and got $7812, about $400 more that I have heard.

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
          (842 posts)

9 years ago

".....It's scaring me how few will be available and the price."  

I believe that's the idea with these limited edition horns.  Lower supply + mystique =  higher price.  

This offering might be a trial balloon for Selmer.  If the design stands on its own merits, I can see no rational business reason why Selmer wouldn't resume production and amortize its tooling costs.

The Buescher company produced Adolphe Sax tribute horns for years.  The classical player Sigurd Rascher considered the Buescher Aristocrat (early version) that he played the truest to Sax's original intention for the saxophone.  So if you're seriously chasing that Adolphe Sax thing and don't want to break the bank, a Buescher True Tone or prewar Aristocrat might be a good way to go.  

Reply To Post

1. by mgictwnger
            (46 posts)

9 years ago

I play a True Tone soprano and it is the prettiest sonding horn I have ever had. 

Reply To Post