Saxophone Forum

by easom
(11 posts)
9 years ago

Value of a Hamilton Tenor sax.

Im looking to get an aproxamate value of this saxaphone.   It is a hamilton with all origonal parts.  Its been overhauled and plays nice.  Im told its a conn stencil.  Any information would be awesome.  CODY

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Value of a Hamilton Tenor sax.

Not much.  The more recent Conns are generally not highly regarded.  

Reply To Post

1. by easom
      (11 posts)

9 years ago

I was told this was a vintage horn from the 40s or 50s.  Is it really a newer horn and when you say the more recent Conns are generally not highly regarded hoiw recent do you meen?  Thanks for any help. 

Reply To Post

1. by easom
        (11 posts)

9 years ago

The serial # shows it from 1946 to 1947.  Hope this helps to determine if its a good value at $350

Reply To Post

1. by easom
          (11 posts)

9 years ago

I looked closer at the engraving on the bell.  Its a hazelton sax.  I also know nothing about this brand either

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
          (842 posts)

9 years ago

It's definitely not a 1946-1947 Conn.  Conn did not produce RH bell key horns until much later.  Their serial numbers were reset in the late 1970s.  A recycled 1946-47 number would come up some time in the 1990s.  But then, maybe it's completely unrelated to any Conn serial number.  

By "not highly regarded," I mean that they do not have a reputation for being high quality horns.  It affects market value, although there can be examples of horns produced during less-favored periods that are good players.

If it's in good condition it might be worth a flier at $350.  But if it needs work, the cost could easily exceed the value of the horn.  Sometimes a horn can look really nice but contain surprises for the unwary.  If you can have it inspected prior to sale, that would be the way to go.

Reply To Post