Saxophone Forum

by new sax dude
(2 posts)
9 years ago

General beginner questions

A few beginner questions - do you have to buy a new mouthpiece after a while? I have a Yamaha YAS-23 with a Yamaha 4c mouthpiece. The mouthpiece is old and has teeth marks on it.

The ligature I have is unmarked and tarnishing. Should I get a new ligature? Does it affect the tone enough to get a new one?

I'm looking to get back into sax after playing it in school. Looking to get into some soul and funk stuff and performing with my trio that I already front as a guitar player/singer. Is my saxophone good enough for that? 

Are there any good books with some nice horn lines written out or any good blues books for sax?

I know its a lot of questions but any answers would be greatly aprreciated! Thanks in advance!
Matt 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

9 years ago

Re: General beginner questions

Happy to welcome you into the saxophone world. The mouthpiece is a critical piece of the instrument and I think especially so for a beginner. That being said, a Yamaha 4C mouthpiece is a decent mouthpiece to start learning on. Since its used and already has bite marks on the beak you should probably have it looked at by someone with experience playing the saxophone to make sure the tip and rails are in good shape and the mouthpiece is functioning properly. Still, you will probably want to move up to a better mouthpiece as soon as possible. In the affordable options, I would recommend looking at Vandoren AL4 or Selmer C* for concert playing and/or a Vandoren V16 series or D'Addario Select mouthpiece for jazz playing. All of these mouthpieces for the best prices found on line can be purchased at Saxquest at the link below.

http://www.saxquest.com/store/category/new-modern-sax-mouthpieces-C6/type/4

As for ligature, I wouold wait a bit on buying a high end ligature until your sound is a bit more developed and you can truly feel the differences between ligatures for yourself. A standard two screw ligature is fine for a beginner and even many professional use them. So, I wouldn't recommend spending any time worrying about ligs just yet. Time is better spent in the begenning in the practice room. Long tone excercises will get you a good sound at first much more than any equipment will so long as you have good functional stuff.

Yes, your saxophone is good enough. A YAS-23 is a decent student saxophone. But have it looked over at a competent shop to ensure its playing up to its potential.

Lastly, there is lots of good literature out there for saxophone. Greg Fishman has created several great books. They may be a bit advanced for a beginner but if you've played in the past they may be good for getting you back up to speed. Saxquest also has a list of listerature available at:

http://www.saxquest.com/store/category/sax-literature-C11

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post