Saxophone Forum

by Vint_Sax
(4 posts)
9 years ago

HELP! What do i have here!?

Hi, we've been searching the web, this and other forums, and are having no luck.  We have my father's vintage c-melody saxophone.  He's not sure of the brand and the only markings read "STANDARD ARTIST MODEL" (i've included a picture) and the serial # in the 51XXX range with an LP (presumably for low pitch).  We'd like to know if we have a rare collectible instrument and WHO exactly the maker is? I've seen connections on the web drawn to both Conn and Martin, but nothing concrete.  Any help you could give would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

9 years ago

Re: HELP! What do i have here!?

You've come to the right place. Can you post a few more photos of the horn that shows more of the keywork and a good overview shot. Thanks!!

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by Vint_Sax
      (4 posts)

9 years ago

Thanks!  Here's two more.  Hopefully this helps.

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

9 years ago

I'm going to stick my neck out and make a call that it was made by Couturiere sometime up to the end of the 1920s.  Couteriere made stencil horns for Lyon & Healey, Gretsch, and Holton, none of which are particularly rare, valuable, or collectible.  Couturiere made horns with soldered tonehole rings like on Martins.  The Couturiere tonehole rings have a straight bevel to the pad seat, while those on the Martins usually have a concave bevel.

It's not a Martin because it has a Conn-like chromatic F key on the back of the body, while Martins had the spoon-style chromatic F key.  It's not an ancient Conn with soldered toneholes because the low C keyguard is the wrong design.  The neck is also not a Conn neck. 

Reply To Post

1. by Vint_Sax
          (4 posts)

9 years ago

Wow, very interesting.  Appreciate the knowledge. We've found it very hard to pinpoint this one.  If this is the case, any idea the price range we'd be looking at for something like this?  Thank you!!

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
          (842 posts)

9 years ago

There is minimal demand for c-melody saxophones, so don't get your hopes up.  Yours lacks a front F key.

Reply To Post

3. by badenia
          (10 posts)

8 years ago

Based on what I see, this could be and early Elkhart Band Instrument Co stencil. The G# clustoer and the more or less Buescher/Elkhart 1920's styling indicates the possibility. It would be nice to see how the the serial number is actually configured to confirm.

Reply To Post

4. by Vint_Sax
          (4 posts)

8 years ago

Yes, we still don't have a definite on what we have.  Here's a picture of the serial number if that helps you out at all.  It would just be nice to know what it is regardless of the cost or rarity.  Thanks in advance for any help you could give!

Reply To Post

5. by badenia
          (10 posts)

8 years ago

This is actually an Elkhart Band Instrument Co, subsidiary of Buescher stencil from the 1922 - 1927 time period. The serial span was about 50000 to 58000. They were likely made as the Plum Street address. These are often confused with Martin and occassionally Couturier owing to the beveled tone holes.

However, generally the the Martin beveling in the 50000 series serials was more concave. Additonally, their stencils prior to the Indian Band Instr Co start in 1929 has a perfix "1" and used the word LOW PITCH.

Couturier may be identified by the "Peace Symbol" low C guard and the letters above and below the serial for sax type and pitch.

There are some key differencs as well, but they are hard to describe.

Happy New Year,

Kurt

Reply To Post

6. by GFC
          (842 posts)

8 years ago

Interesting stuff.  A couple of questions occur to me.  

Am I correct in inferring that EBI Co made soldered tonehole and drawn tonehole horns concurrently, at different addresses?  

When you refer to the 50000 series in the second paragraph are you referring to Martin made stencils prior to IBI Co? 

Reply To Post