Saxophone Forum

by buckstein1
(3 posts)
9 years ago

Need help with identification and year

Hi everyone! I am new here. I am not a sax player but I am a music teacher and I look for instruments that I can bring into my classroom so my all my students but especially those headed off to middle school soon, can see hold and play the instruments to see what they might like to try in band. I found an Alto Saxophone in a storage closet at a school I used to work at and they said I could have it. Been in there for years and doesnt play well. Of course I took it, but now I am wondering if it might be worth something and I should keep the kids hands off of it! Here is the info I have... The case says Buescher but I am not sure that is the correct case. It is a silver tone sax with a hint of gold in the bell. Info on the sax is

patd.dec.8.1914
C
P12638

The engraving on the bell just says:
Supertone
Made in USA

I have done a little research and found out info on the patent date and #
The C stands for melody C
The L is for Low
But I haven't found anything about this serial #... P12638

Really trying to see who made it and what year. Any help would be great, thanks! 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by JonHuff
    (117 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Need help with identification and year

Hello and welcome! The Supertone is actually a stencil made by Conn, at some point it must have just been put in a Buescher case. Unfortunately stencils do not follow the same serial number charts as the parent company, so dating it is only possible by looking at the keywork and comparing, etc. The news on it though as a stencil, AND as a C Melody, it really isn't worth anything. The silver plating is most likely original so it can be polished up to shine like new and can make a good trophy piece, but I wouldn't put any money into restoring it.

Reply To Post

1. by buckstein1
      (3 posts)

9 years ago

Thank you for your help. You never know what your getting unless that's your specialty. If it was a flute I would have been fine. I was going to take it apart to a point and clean it up so hopefully it won't smell so bad. I am ok to do that right since it isn't really worth anything.... or should I just leave it?

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
    (842 posts)

9 years ago

I;m a little skeptical that a horn that doesn't play well and has dated ergos is the best way to introduce kids with little kid hands to saxophone playing, but  a beautiful old 1920s horn would still be kind of a cool thing to show the kids.  Just don't sink too much money into getting it playing right.

Reply To Post

1. by buckstein1
      (3 posts)

9 years ago

I am not teaching kids to play it. I let them hold them, wiggle their fingers and see if they can make a sound. That's pretty much it. I do this with as many instruments as possible as most of my 600 students will never get to see most of these unless someone gives them the opportunity.

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
        (420 posts)

9 years ago

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
             Mark Overton
             www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

2. by Aces_Vince
      (3 posts)

9 years ago

I also have just aquired an older Buescher Bari True Tune. I would like some Help with Year if anyone knows or tell me how I can look it up meself. Thanks Vince

Reply To Post

3. by Aces_Vince
      (3 posts)

9 years ago

I also have just aquired an older Buescher Bari True Tune. I would like some Help with Year if anyone knows or tell me how I can look it up meself. Thanks Vince

Reply To Post

1. by JonHuff
        (117 posts)

9 years ago

Looks like it dates to about 1921 : http://saxophone.org/museum/serialNumberLookup

Reply To Post

1. by Aces_Vince
          (3 posts)

9 years ago

Thank you very much cant wait to get it playable 

Reply To Post