Saxophone Forum

by Kitch22
(98 posts)
19 years ago

Help with altissimo

I play jazz with a Meyer 6M, stock ligature, and La Voz med reeds. I'd really like to be able to play altissimo notes for some of my improv solos in jazz band, particularly the G overtone. I've tried to get it out using mostly the more popular fingering (octave and one finger on the key above the middle b key), but all I get everytime is either an airy absence or a squeak that matches up with a D. I've let my friend try to play the G overtone, and it popped right out, so I know it's me and not my equipment. What can I do to learn to play it? Should I do anything special to get it to pop out or what. I do have a private teacher, but he's more focusing on teaching me other things. Thanx for any help!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by martysax
    (148 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Help with altissimo

That works better on most tenors. Try LH 1 and 3, RH 1 and side Bb, and octave key. Don't forget to hear the note before you pop it!

Reply To Post

1. by mintyfreshjam
      (48 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Help with altissimo

You might be tight, have too much mouthpiece, or not enough cushion. The altissimo G will probably be one of the last notes you get. Try slurring from the F below it or the A above it. Use less lower lip to create more cushion under the reed.

Reply To Post