Saxophone Forum

by jazzycat
(2 posts)
20 years ago

sax necks

have a tenor mark vi and want a second neck... for purposes of accomodating a different sized mouthpiece I enjoy... I would rather have a dedicated neck to each of my mouthpieces so as to have a measured/tuned and secure fit.... but what if the 2nd neck i'm thinking of buying requires an adjustment on the horn's tenon (sp?)... What 2nd neck should I purchase that will most likely require no horn adjustment (tenon?sp?) and would be a worthwhile resonating investment???? Is it even possible to get everything possible out of a horn and/or to routinely switch between two necks?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxMan
    (559 posts)

20 years ago

Re: sax necks

just use some teflon tape.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

To properly address a non-perfect fit on the neck, you should have the neck tenon expanded or contracted as needed to fit the receiver as perfectly as possible. There are tools for doing that (I'll have mine before too terribly long, I hope). Teflon tape is a quick fix if you were trying out a neck that was a little loose, but once you find the neck that is your double, you should have it modified. You will have to hand over your horn along with the neck for someone to do the job right. I suppose you could measure it and tell them to make it size "x", but I wouldn't personally guarantee the job as the receiver might not even be perfectly round.

Reply To Post

1. by jazzycat
      (2 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks maniac... The issue is this...Current neck fits great. Current mouthpiece fits great. Got new mouthpiece that is too tight and won't fit cork on existing neck. Thought I'd get a 2nd neck specifically for this new mouthpiece. Want to switch between old and new mouthpieces for tonal variation. If I change the cork to fit the new mouthpiece, I of course will be too loose on original mouthpiece - hense a 2nd and dedicated neck. Guess I'm looking for an educated guess from someone on what 2nd neck will blow nice and not likely cause me to change anything on the horn.... Is the neck tenon on the neck or on the horn? If on the neck, can they really be contracted. If you were going to use a 2nd neck on a mark VI, what would you consider and why? Selmer standard Silver, Selmer copper, those retro necks 36 or 54? Is there something you'd avoid? Thanks...

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

Read my email...

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

wow, I wish I had money like that to blow around... I don't know what sax_maniac said in that email, but I'm guessing it's cheaper (and could be better) than buying a new neck. Also, people buy new necks for a different sound... I don't think you could find a neck that plays just like your old one, or just like your old one with that other m/p. You would end up getting something totally different than what you wanted - could be good or bad.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

know what? I thought a new neck was very expensive and custom made... because those are the only ones I see for sale online. So I just assumed that you were looking for one of those. but I'll stand behind the rest of my post.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by South Florida Sax
        (10 posts)

19 years ago

Wanted: Buescher 400 replacement neck. 954-854-9156

Reply To Post