Saxophone Forum

by bariguy
(25 posts)
20 years ago

otto link ligatures

hi i just got a new otto link new york model mouthpiece for my tenor sax. it has a 7 opening. i am not very happy with the stock ligature, i was thinking of trying out an olegature or maybe one of the bg ligatures. i'm looking for a strong fat, but controlled sound. anyone got any ideas?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by PsuSax
    (25 posts)

19 years ago

Re: otto link ligatures

try them both if you can, those would be the best for you, unless they offer a vandoren optimum that would fit that mp. if you can get an optimum they are very versatile and give you a wide array of colors just by changing the plates.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

19 years ago

Metal or hard rubber? There's an NY model for both. It is true the stock ligatures don't have very good response(though I do like the tone produced with them). Yeah, I like the Vandoren Optimums, but not especially for jazz. They have an oustanding response, but I don't find I like it for jazz, I use the Francois Louis Ligature and Olegature. Just whatever you do, don't go buy a cloth or fabric ligature live Rovner and play if for jazz, like a million people have done. It deadens your sound.

Reply To Post

1. by KCSaxGal
        (46 posts)

19 years ago

Does anyone know if Olegature has a model that will fix a Otto Link NY Metal Tenor mp? I looked at wwbw but all they have is a number... no description as to what mp it fits.

Reply To Post

1. by KCSaxGal
          (46 posts)

19 years ago

I found a reference chart on the Oleg website.

Reply To Post

2. by The_MarkVI
          (80 posts)

19 years ago

OH MY ! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE. the vandoren is for classical!!! Its not used for jazz. and the last time i checked, metal mouthpieces were for jazz. i would try an oleg or francoius louis ligature. but buy them from this site, they have the cheapest prices

Reply To Post

3. by KCSaxGal
          (46 posts)

19 years ago

umm... what are you flipping out about? The discussion is about a oleg and it's in the jazz forum. Nobody is talking about legit here? I am buying my olegature from my local music shop.

Reply To Post

4. by jazzax
          (30 posts)

19 years ago

A lot of players just use a silver Selmer Lig with their metal links, for whatever that's worth.

Reply To Post

5. by bariguy
          (25 posts)

19 years ago

ok cool. i'll try out a bunch of them. thanks for the info.

Reply To Post AIM

6. by KCSaxGal
          (46 posts)

19 years ago

it's ok... I flipped out last week on the forum because someone couldn't spell saxophone correctly. ;)

Reply To Post