Saxophone Forum

by freediver
(3 posts)
9 years ago

Suggestions for recording equipment to aid in learning

Hi, does any one have any suggestions for recording equipment to help in playing/playback for learning and practice purposes.  Any suggestions, much appreciated !!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Suggestions for recording equipment to aid in learning

I like the small handy Zoom recorders. I record gigs and my practice both. I like the Zoom H2 but there are more expensive Zoom recorders. I bought extra chips for more memory. I also prefer the older H2s opporating system better than the newer ones (I own 3) ..I have a friend who bought an older Zoom H2 on ebay for 85.00......~)

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by freediver
      (3 posts)

9 years ago

Thanks Barry, that's exactly the advice I was after.  I visited a music eqpt store this morning and bought an H2 !  There were plenty of others with lot of extra buttons and shiny bits but I kept my sensible head on and heeded your advice.

Thank you, Martin. 

Reply To Post

2. by Slab Hardcheese
    (3 posts)

9 years ago

I also use the zoom H2.   It works great.  One hint is to use MP3 instead of full wav files which I think it defaults too.  They are much smaller and sound good enough for practice.  If you want higher quality try MP3 at 192, but for normal practice I just use 96.  I also have an additional memory card and I once left it recording for a couple days accidentally.  It just kept on going.

It also helps to have DAW software, since navigating through those long MP3s on the Zoom can be quite difficult.  Just plug the zoom (turned off) via USB cable into your computer, select "storage mode" so it acts as a hard drive, and copy the MP3 file to your computer. 

Once in your DAW you have the full facilities of whatever DAW software you use where everything is much easier.  I use Samplitude Pro, but most DAWs will work. 

I create a reusable mastering compression setting for bringing up the softer parts of rehearsals (which is dialog) so you can hear the discussion as well as the music without riding the volume.  If you regularly publish your rehearsal to your band like I do on dropbox, you may want to cut out all the BS dialog except for specific song instructions, or just include the last good version of each song, or cut out some offensive comments, and all this really requires DAW software to do easily. 

Also a DAW is a good environment if you need to chart out, or loop for practicing sections.  Good luck!

Reply To Post

1. by freediver
      (3 posts)

9 years ago

Thanks Slab Hardcheese, sorry it's taken a few days to reply, I've been checking out the Samplitude s/w you mentioned - works perfectly.  Thanks for the advice !!

Reply To Post