Saxophone Forum

by saxgrobie
(86 posts)
19 years ago

a chem clean?

Marching band has really taken a toll on my Jupiter. I took a look at the money I've got, and decided the Jupiter is gonna be my main sax for a while now. Its starting to look kind of rough and I heard something about a chem clean . . . How much do they cost and do you think it would be worthwhile? Thanks, Kelsey

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxMan
    (559 posts)

19 years ago

Re: a chem clean?

It really depends on what is going on with the sax - a chem clean requires a total rebuild - it goes into a liquid. If there are dents and springs and swedging to deal with, it could be a lot. I would say around 400 bucks starting out for a rebuild with student grade materials - get into the pro level horns and those start at around 600. If the sax is really dirty, it could eb very worth it - weh have ahd trumpets come in so corroded (cough...yamaha.) that they would hardly play, chemical clean them, work on the valves, and they play alright - a sax wont reap as great effects - unless the thing is friken filthy with grime all up the body tube and in the neck and probably some on the outside.

Reply To Post

1. by saxgrobie
      (86 posts)

19 years ago

Yikes! I guess that won't be happening any time soon. Got any other suggestions for keeping my sax in good shape? Its starting to form little green spots in one or two places. Is there anything else I can do to get those gone?

Reply To Post AIM

1. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

19 years ago

Just swab it out everytime, blow the spit off the palm keys and you should be fine. THat green stuff you might want to have looked at though - could be brass rot, though this is unlikely, it could lead to a hole in the horn - but do not tell the guy that you think it might be brass rot - soem techs such and they will say - yep...needs this, this and this, 200 bucks please. If it isnt really playing so great right now, might have them estimate what it would take to get it going good again.

Reply To Post

1. by saxgrobie
          (86 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the help. Its playing fine, except for the lower C pinky key. I think it might be leaking, so I'll have it looked at. Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM