Saxophone Forum

by Chic
(5 posts)
19 years ago

Neck Replacement for MkVI

I play a 1959 MkVI and I have the oppertunity to buy an Oleg neck for it. How will it effect the sound-right now its kindof restricted with the original neck-will it open the sound? Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Cashsax
    (12 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Neck Replacement for MkVI

I recently put a SelmerSterling neck on my silver VI tenor..pops alot better, fuller sound, great Alt.!!

Reply To Post

2. by Goldref18
    (145 posts)

19 years ago

Aggle. This makes me sad. I get such a beautiful sound out of my Mark VI with the original Neck and i have heard that when you replace a neck you have to get the tip of the body adjusted for it. I personally don't like the idea but lemme know how it goes.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Cashsax
      (12 posts)

19 years ago

I agree, I played my original neck on my VI tenor for years and always loved the sound..the new neck was an experiment..but I notice that my horn just feels and sounds improved.. I'm tempted to try a sterling Masterpiece on my silver VII Alto.

Reply To Post

1. by Cashsax
        (12 posts)

19 years ago

Btw..the neck is where the adjustment happens..I had the sterling tenor neck done locally by a good tech..neck fitment is crucial for proper response and tone..I'm going back for a second time I want mine even a little tighter than we did it the first time.

Reply To Post

2. by Goldref18
        (145 posts)

19 years ago

Did u have the tube adjusted for your replacement neck? How do you know which necks are good for a VI?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Chic
          (5 posts)

19 years ago

Got the Oleg neck. WOW what a difference ! The sax plays unrestricted and sounds great.

Reply To Post

2. by Goldref18
          (145 posts)

19 years ago

Where'd u order ur Oleg Neck from?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by Chic
          (5 posts)

19 years ago

got it on e bay. playing on my mark felt as though there was a resistance when I blew-especially in the upper regisister. this new neck is what I have been waiting for-resistance is gone-it feels more balanced-and now altissimo sings!

Reply To Post

4. by Goldref18
          (145 posts)

19 years ago

When you say resistence, do you mean like if you tried to play the spatula keys you kinda had to blow differently to get them to speak right? That happens with me but it's only because my reed is dead, when i put a new reed on it's fine. But if the neck really works that sounds like a worthy investment. How much do they go for? How do they effect the pitch and response and intonation and all that good stuff? Thanks for the info.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

5. by Chic
          (5 posts)

19 years ago

tough one to explain. by resistence I mean that the mid-upper register the notes didn't seem to sound easily. maybe its because the serial#'s didn't match(sax 83,xxx/neck 127,xxx),. at any rate when I now play it takes less effort (both blowing control and embersure(sp?)). I paid $400 on e bay for it. the pitch is right on from low Bb up to high E. F is slightly flat but can be tuned by tightening up.

Reply To Post

6. by Goldref18
          (145 posts)

19 years ago

Wow. That may be the reason. I know that the really early VI's and the really late ones are the best and i have heard from some people that the 120-190 range are a little weak. But i think that could be it but it shouldn't make it like a bad horn. Sounds like the replacement neck works, but how did the guy who adjusted it/the tube know how much to adjust whatever he adjusted? P.S. Armbrochure :-)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

7. by Chic
          (5 posts)

19 years ago

I bought it from a guy who had an 85,xxx series MkVI-didn't need it adjusted.

Reply To Post