Saxophone Forum

by Kitch22
(98 posts)
19 years ago

TOO EDGY!!!

I play alto sax, and right now, I'm quite frustrated with myselft lately. You see, I play jazz and legit, but my tone can't seem to warm up for classical music no matter what I use. My jazz tone is really great, and I like it a lot; it's brilliant, bright, edgy, and powerful, just what I'm after as a contemperary jazz saxist. I need to get a much more open and dark sound on my S80 C*. I need anything and everything to possibly help this promlem.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sonnyrollins57
    (17 posts)

19 years ago

Re: TOO EDGY!!!

Trying do long tones as much as possible with your Selmer C* mouthpiece.Also do long tones with your scales so you develope stronger lungs and strength through every octave possible on your saxophone.As a jazz player myself I have the same problem,it takes time,just be patient as possible.

Reply To Post

1. by sonnyrollins57
      (17 posts)

19 years ago

Oh, by the way what type of jazz mouth piece you play on?I just want to know because im experimenting on different mouthpieces right now.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

19 years ago

Well...didn't you say you play a Silver Plated Z? That's just about the brightest jazziest sax you could go for. I do agree that there really is no "jazz sax", but that's going to be very bright. I would recommend finding the darkest mouthpiece/ligature setup you can. Maybe a Larry Teal with a rovner soft. I hate those rovners because they deaden the sound, but it sounds like it might be just what you need. Sliver plated saxes are just generally brighter overall, and the Custom Z was aimed at jazz saxists, although I think it's got more to do with the silver.

Reply To Post

1. by Kitch22
          (98 posts)

19 years ago

Yes, I do play a Custom Z silver alto. And yes, it is aimed for jazz. But, my private teacher who's a professianal can play my sax with my legit setup (S80 C*, Rovner dark lig, and La Voz med reeds) and sound very dark. He says it's not the mpc and ligature, and I believe him 100%; he's the one who told me to get the C* for classic work, and that's what he wants to be playing on. The silver does create a lot of my unwanted edge, but he says it's got to do with more of my throat, and where airflow is being pushed from, as I tend to tighten up way too much with my embouchure and in my neck. P.S. - sonnyrollins: I play a Meyer (hard rubber) 6M for jazz with the same reeds and either an Olegature or a stock lig. It's such an awesome setup, and it's also the piece my professional private teacher uses! I would definitely try one if you you haven't already. Tell me what you play, and what you've also tried and likes for jazz.

Reply To Post

2. by Kitch22
          (98 posts)

19 years ago

About reeds, too. I have found that reeds infulence the sound a lot more than I thought. I use La Voz med for most everything, or just a different size. I've just recently been playing on a Vandoren trad; it seems a touch dark, but sacrifices in other areas. What are some reeds to try out for legit? As well as some for jazz? Some for jazz I've looked into are Javas, V16s, Alexander's (don't know much about their different styles).

Reply To Post

3. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

Hemkes may be what you're looking for Kitch. they are brighter than Vandoren Trads, yet lack buzz, and are fairly consistant. The only problem seems to be that they have a short life. Alexander DCs are a little brighter than Vandorens as well, I find. They add a hint of an old jazz 'body' to the tone. Classiques tendency is to be just as dark as as traditionals, though with a little better colour. They tend to be stiff to me, a vandoren 3 is equivalent of a Classique 2.5

Reply To Post

4. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

I really like the Alexander Classiques for legit. The hemkes to me seem to cheaply made. If you want to go to Alexander's website, there's a comparison chart between brands. For your teacher to say that it's not the m/p lig setup isn't really a fair statement. It's true that it's not all of it, but if it's not the setup, then why wouldn't you play your meyer for legit? It definetly has a lot to do with airflow, and your throat. Your throat needs to stay open, and blow from your stomach and bottom of your lungs, not the top, that way instead of blowing cold air, you're instead just exhaling warm air.

Reply To Post

5. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Get a Rovner rubber ligature. They have different styles; go with a Dark for the tone that you're looking for. I would suggest maybe trying a different mouthpiece. Maybe a Selmer Brillhart Ebolin. Your pads have a lot to do with the sound. I have a Conn 10M tenor and a 6M alto, both with reso pads, and they really scream! Perfect for jazz, blues, and funk which is mostly what I play, but the horn would definately be out of place in a concert band. Unfortunately, it's really hard to get a good jazz sound and a mello classical tone from the same horn. Good luck!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

6. by mintyfreshjam
          (48 posts)

19 years ago

Chances are your overblowing on the C*. Relax the air a little and it should warm up. A legit forte is different from a jazz forte.

Reply To Post

7. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

19 years ago

no its not. it still the same decibel level - 85 I want to say was the general are defined as forte. If you are going to be preposterously general, in that jaz is bright and legit is dark, then it would SEEM that a jazz forte is louder than a forte in legit music because of the emphasis on the higher overtones - but what about people like say, chris potter who play VERY dark? then what?

Reply To Post

8. by mintyfreshjam
          (48 posts)

19 years ago

Do you live to discredit everything I say?

Reply To Post

9. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

19 years ago

no, not everything, just the wrong stuff...so far everything.

Reply To Post

10. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

19 years ago

no, not everything, just the wrong stuff...so far everything.

Reply To Post

11. by Saxman2200
          (64 posts)

19 years ago

I agree that it is completly unfair to say that none of the problem is in your setup. Granted you can get the desired sound on your horn, but it will take work. Work on long tones, the most common advice I hear is to think about getting your throat wide enough so you could fit a ping pong ball easily in there. I actually find it easier however to think about different accents. For a darker tone think about a southern accent (a real southern accent, not the hillbilly's you hear on t.v.), and for a brighter accent think about someone from a big city, like Boston or New York (kind of nasily with a smaller throat and looser embouchur) (sp?). However I would highly reccomend you take a look at a "legit horn" (I know I don't like the phrase either, but what else can I say, a silver custom z is way to bright for legit). Look into a keilwerth mabey, trust me they are plenty dark. But if your not into spending money (who is?) you could always find an intermediate horn cheap and use that for legit (assuming since you brought the custom z that you are centered mainly around jazz). But if you can't even swing that there is always option D, just work away till you find your sound.

Reply To Post