Saxophone Forum

by InstantLunch
(30 posts)
19 years ago

Selmer Serie II

I got a serie II a few months ago, and I'm very pleased with it. Jazz band started last week. The first alto has a vintage conn, and the other second and a brand new L.A. sax. They both use legit mouthpieces, and I use a meyer 5mm. I notice that I sound way different than the both of them. Is my sax good for jazz? I know it's really a matter of personal opinion, but kindly answer the question.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Selmer Serie II

The Series II is marketed as a classically oriented saxophone. I think it's well suited for such as it has an even scale, consistent notes, nice action, and is well built. Being that the same things are needed for jazz applications, I see no reason why it's not a competent jazz horn. The way I see it, there really aren't great legit horns or great jazz horns, they're just great horns!

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

19 years ago

Marketed as classical horns? Are you sure you aren't thinking of the III? People complained of the II being too bright, and they toned down the Series III. I think the Series II is great for jazz. The way I see it, you should be playing lead. Is your band director a brass player? Ha. He probably thinks you're the one wrong because you stand out, when really, you're right. A meyer is good for jazz alto, and what are they using, C*s? Also, I would say the Series II is better than any LA sax, and better than what the lead is playing, which is probably the Conn 6M. Just try to play lead even though it's not your chair. Everyone's a lead player in a jazz band. Maybe if you play confidently, you'll get bumped up. If I were you though, I wouldn't concern myself with chairs, and just play and have fun.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

19 years ago

--------------------------------------------------------------------- Series II Model 54 : Series II bore – broad, dark sound Series III Model 64: Series III bore – quick response, lively sound Reference 54 Model 74: Spirit of the 1954 Mark VI – solid, centered sound Reference 36 Model 84: Spirit of the 1936 Balanced Action – broader, more flexible sound (slightly wider diameter at the bow-to-bell junction -------------------------------------------------------------------------- actually golfer, I'm not sure. I've allways heard Selmer was aiming for the Classical croud with the II, and my impressions were that *I* thought the II was a more legit "oriented" horn. I agree with Selmer Marketing's assessment of the two horns and myself thought the III was the brighter horn of the two. ;)

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

Wow, I've always really disliked the Series III because of how dead and boring it sounds. I've always thought of the Series II of the brighter and better of the two...where'd you get that, Selmer's website?: / I guess they're never really the same, because they're all one of a kind since they're handmade, but in my opinions, that's two complete striked in a row for Selmer. I think if they just thought more basic, they'd do better. I think the perfect sax, would be a mix of Selmer, Yanagisawa, and Yamaha. The sound of the Yamaha, the complexity and ingenuity of the Yanagisawa, and the sturdiness, durbablity, and craftsmanship of the Selmer. I'll start the company. And I'll call it...Conn! Hahaha, not really, I'm thinking of something like Sanigamaha..sounds to Japanese : )

Reply To Post

2. by SaxDru
        (3 posts)

19 years ago

I personally play a Series II, but Selmer has been marketing the III as something closer to a Mark 6, sound and more of a Jazz horn. I had people think i was crazy for buying the "old" model, but I thought the II was much better and loved both the tone and projection. Well needless to say I have never looked back. Find a good mouthpiece that works for you. I'm currently playing on a relatively unknown American handmade, the model is “Excalibur”I wish I could give you the manufacturer but I only have my tenor with me right now. But back to the point, a Series II with the right mouthpiece (for you) can be a killer setup. Best of Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

I like my 6m for jazz, but it does have it's problems. It can get really stuffy at times and (for me) either plays bright and loud, or just bright. But as mentioned before, any nice horn is a good horn for jazz. At your level I woudln't be too worried about it anyway since you're going to be playing concert band and stuff for a few more years. also, you don't really want your sound to stick out too much from the other saxes. Not that you're wrong, but the whole section needs to sound kinda the same. It wouldn't be a bad idea to talk to the other two players and see if they could get a better mouthpiece for jazz.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by tenor562
            (297 posts)

19 years ago

the Excalibur is made by Ralph Morgan, a great mouthpiece maker, in my opinion.

Reply To Post

1. by InstantLunch
              (30 posts)

19 years ago

I had another rehearsal last night, and I realized I don't sound way way out of place. I guess the section was really out of tune the last time. As for first chair goes, this is only my second year in jazz band. I played the lead last year in jr. high jazz with my yamaha, and I had a nasty awful squeeking incident with it at the last concert. It kind of drove me away from asking to be first chair this year. I enjoy being second, though.

Reply To Post

2. by golferguy675
              (600 posts)

19 years ago

As long as you're enjoying yourself, that's all that matters. I really like the Morgan mouthpieces, they're the best playing mouthpeices I've bought. There's one thing you have to watch though, consistency. Ralph's and old guy, and his eyesight isn't so good. I've found that I had to do a little bit of retouching on 2 of my pieces from him, since they're all handmade. Nothing major though. I can't believe Selmer is marketing the III as a jazz horn. I haven't heard that, that's insane. Out of all the reputable pro models I've ever tried, the Series III is probably the most resistant and dead sounding one. It's like there's a sock in the bell; there's no vibration or resonation. Play an old Mark VI or an unlacquered jazz horn, and then play a Series III.

Reply To Post

3. by jazzax
              (30 posts)

19 years ago

Instantlunch...thanks for reporting on your experience. It really brings back memories for me to hear you talk about it. I'm sure you're just fine with the horn you have. Most people seem to prefer the Series II alto over the Series III (it seems to be the opposite for tenor) overall for classical and jazz. As a young player, you probably have a lot of classical playing to look forward to as you develop and this horn should give you the flexibility to do both jazz and classical with a mouthpiece dedicated to each style. I've had an old Morgan 5m on alto that I got back when I was in high school and it's still my favorite piece for jazz alto. Last time I played classical, I used an older Rousseau rubber (can't recall the tip opening now) that worked best for me (much better than my vintage Selmer C*). Your mileage may vary. Have fun and best of luck!

Reply To Post