Saxophone Forum

by Gumptious
(40 posts)
19 years ago

mouthpiece help

What is a good alto mouthpiece for jazz? Beechler, Rosseau are two popular ones ive heard. Any specific brands/types that are good for jazz on altos? Thx

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by KCSaxGal
    (46 posts)

19 years ago

Re: mouthpiece help

What price range are you looking for?

Reply To Post

1. by Gumptious
      (40 posts)

19 years ago

under $500. im buying a horn that leaves me that much to spend on a mouthpiece/reeds/ligature etc. 500 for a mouthpiece is a lot since the highest ive ever seen is 300, so pretty much price is no issue. just give me the names of some absolute best ones.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

19 years ago

The good Beechlers are the vintage ones, and aren't worth the trouble of tracking down. Ressaou( I know that spelling isn't even close) makes good legit pieces, but not jazz. If you've got that much, look at maybe a vintage NY hard rubber Otto Link, or a new Phil Barone, those are about 160 or so. Berg Larsons are great, but if you don't know much about mouthpieces, it's hard to find the right measurement, unless you can locate a comparison chart. My Berg is 95/100, and I can get a lot of air through it. I also use Morgan mouthpieces, which are great for jazz, check out the website. Definetly don't spend more than 200 bucks on a hard rubber piece for alto. The 300 dollar one you saw was probably metal. DO NOT buy a metal mouthpeice for alto, please. What sax did you end up buying?

Reply To Post

1. by Gumptious
          (40 posts)

19 years ago

I bought a Custom Z. i couldn't find a Mark VI other wise i would of paid anything to get one of those in good condition. I haven't bought it yet so if theres any reason i shouldn't buy the Z yet plz let me know now. ive played on it and can't find anything wrong with it, mainly cuz its 100x better than the one i played before it. Who buys metal mouthpieces anyway?? I dont know much about mouthpieces but i know that those sure do have a god awful sound.

Reply To Post

2. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

Well, they sound awful on alto(with a very few exceptions), but on tenor it's a different story. Rock and Jazz tenor players a like use metal pieces, and sound great. It's really just a matter of you personal preference on how things should sound. You might wait a few weeks. Every week or two, the shop on this website gets a new Mark VI in, and they'll overhaul it for you, make it perfect for playing, new pads and everything for 600 I think. So maybe wait a while, and check the vintage sax section on this place out. If not, I'm sure you'll be more than happy with the Z. Have you considered what finish you're going to get?

Reply To Post

3. by peter090
          (155 posts)

19 years ago

I'm primarily a tenor player but quite a few of my alto playing buddies have switched to SR Tech legends. It seems like a pretty versital jazz piece. That said "jazz alto sound" covers a fair bit of ground between say Paul Desmond and Dave Sandborn. I wouldn't spend too much on a mouthpiece until I had a pretty good idea of how I wanted to sound.

Reply To Post

4. by Gumptious
          (40 posts)

19 years ago

to answer golferguy.. i think im getting unlaquered. looks isn't as good as sound to me. im not sure what COLOR to get though as i dont know anything about the different metals.

Reply To Post