Saxophone Forum

by saxonthebeach
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Jazz Band.

I was just wondering, how good are your school's top jazz bands. i.e. what songs are you playing and what competitions have you gone to.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by John Coltrane
    (84 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Jazz Band.

In our band this yr we are pretty good, we play all ellington pieces since we're tryign to go back to the essentilialy ellington contest again last yr, we were anchored by Aaron Holbrook who plays the tenor and alto, and currently goes to Julliard. Hes awesome. This yr we are playing Ko-Ko, Happy go Lucky Local (Very Hard) I didnt know about You (Vocal, Slow), and Blue Cellophane (Trombone Feature). yeah all elington and some other music by Charles Mingus and Lous Armstrong

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by John Coltrane
      (84 posts)

19 years ago

Forgot to put, For the Ellignton contest its US and Canada best bands out of 1200 who applied and sent tapes. We were chosen, we got tied for 6th.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by barimachine
      (323 posts)

19 years ago

yea were doing it too why are u playing those charts... those arent the contest charts in fact u shouldnt have the contest charts we do but we have connections for the record your going to be playing Purple gazelle isfahan happy go lucky local (which isnt hard you need a good alto, trumpet and clarinet player, on trumpet its something like triple high f or sumtin maybe only double high) i didnt know about you ring dem bells VIP boogie (awesome bari solo)

Reply To Post

1. by John Coltrane
        (84 posts)

19 years ago

Actually they are, Ko-Ko sweet bari part, Happy go lucky is easy for us, we have a awesome alto and clarinet and a first yr trumpet whos nailing all the highnotes like the high F. I didnt know about you also easy nice slow vocalist song and we have a sweet vocalist she plays tenor and sings. Blue Cellophane is indeed on the list, we have our EE 05 CD made for us, telling us the 4songs we play. Todd Stoll our band director is really good friends with Wynton and Wes and David so...thats what i know of right now

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

www.jazzatlincolncenter.org/04_05/e_s_ellington.html there u go ... those are the charts the ones i listed blue cellophane was 2 years competition

Reply To Post

2. by John Coltrane
          (84 posts)

19 years ago

yeah you pick two songs from the list, and then you pick a "at large piece", which our case would be blue cellophane

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by CustomZplayer
        (15 posts)

19 years ago

we play alot of great songs in our jazz band. Some of my favorites are... Captian Caribe, Cockatoo, I Don't Know, and Catching the Sun. Not really that many competitions so far this year(mostly playing at local events) but next year we are going to a competition is Hawaii!

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxonthebeach
          (2 posts)

19 years ago

cool, our band is playing charts like Funupmanship, Time Check, I thought about you, Even More Blues in the Absses tooth. Last year we went to a compition at north teaxs and a few years ago we went to monere in Socal, also we have go to a compitition at UNF. I think this year we might go to UNT, Monere, UNF, and we are sending tapes to midwest and north sea jazz( we sent a tape last year and we were the alternates).... we are gona have to do tons of fundraising if we go to all those compition!

Reply To Post

3. by jolene
        (1 post)

19 years ago

hey, we only have jazz band 3 days a week before school from 7:00 to 7:45, so we are not GREAT...haha, but we play some pretty hot songs, we play Hit and Run, Penut Vendor, Velvet Rain, The Game of Love, Copacabana, Stompin' At the Savoy, September, April in Paris, and some more that i can't remember, haha, and my favorite is Moondance by Van morrison, it sounds so good. We dont go to competitions, b/c our band director is preoccupied with marching band, if you are interested, we play Rhapsody in Blue, Fasinating Rhythem, I got Rhythem, and Summertime. bye

Reply To Post

1. by CustomZplayer
          (15 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, We only practice Tusedays and Thursdays for an hour and a half but i wish we played more often. The director loves jazz band but we have marching practice on monday and game night Friday. Today we got our Christmas Music for Jazz, A Charlie Brown Christmas(lol) and Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas (which is my FAVORITE holiday tune).

Reply To Post AIM

1. by The_MarkVI
            (80 posts)

19 years ago

lol jazz band hasn't started yet for us yet. (our teachers are all marching. we won a BOA regional and 9th in super regional) when it does (after christmas) we meet for an hour and a half on thursday after school. we are pretty good and have 2 people who usally make all state jazz

Reply To Post

1. by barimachine
              (323 posts)

19 years ago

jolene and this is just a like before school thing geez thats pretty good for like a non school thing like we have a class but some of those charts are pretty big for that sort of thing are they like toned down or are they the ones that say recorded by or preformed by version

Reply To Post

2. by karebear1012
              (395 posts)

19 years ago

our jazz band is coming along...it's pretty good so far. we practice for 2 hours on monday nights, and sumtimes other days too. the middleschool band is really good too believe it or not..they've won gold at IAJE for 6 straight years. i dunno how we're gonna do though, lol

Reply To Post

3. by tenor562
              (297 posts)

19 years ago

our jazz band, although I'm not in it looks a lot better than last year. This year they get all the cool music, and there is a lot of tenor solos. It's weird, because when I was there, all the solos went to the trumpets, and there was one alto sax solo. None for tenor. This year, they're all tenor, when I have to leave. They're playing some Fat's Waller, Duke Ellington, and all this cool stuff. ...and Jailhouse rock.

Reply To Post