Saxophone Forum

by YanagisawA-901
(312 posts)
19 years ago

I PLAYED MY 1ST MARK 6!!

i played my sax teachers 1967 i believe it was mark 6..it is in absolute immaculate condition..95% original laquer still in tact..i donno how thats even possible..it almost looks brand new..i thought it was a reference at 1st.. but i played it, amazing.. bye

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxMan
    (559 posts)

19 years ago

Re: I PLAYED MY 1ST MARK 6!!

I have seen a VI that was still in the plastic - one came in the other day that was 99.9 percent lacquer - meaning, perfect, but used - could be pin pricks some where that would make it not 100 percent - kind of liek pure silver - is only 99.9 cause if a single speck of dust gets in, it isnt 100 anymore.

Reply To Post

2. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

19 years ago

how much would a good mark cost ya?? wether it was 100% laquer, or no laquer and u get it relaquered or just anything... how much does one cost when its 100% playable?? i want one..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by martysax
      (148 posts)

19 years ago

I just bought my first Mark VI, a '64 vintage Tenor. It was un-laquered and personally set-up by Emilio Lyons. As a favor, he sold it for relatively small money. As a rule, it's a $6,000 horn. If it's an alto you desire, and you liked the Mark VI, try an older balanced action horn. I used a gold-plated BA that Emilio lent me for a recording gig. It was the absolute sweetest sounding horn I ever played. I think he finally sold it for about $4,000. Welcome to the real world of saxophones. Wait until you drive your first Jaguar convertible, it's the same feeling!

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

19 years ago

You could find a good playing MarkVI for 4500 if you looked around. It may not win you any beauty contests, but that's not what makes it sound so good. The later one are cheaper, like mid to late 60', and a few were made in the early 70's (some of those even have a high F# key). A 50's will be no less than 5000 in decent condition, and they get abou 700-1000 dollars more expensive if it's a tenor.

Reply To Post