Saxophone Forum

by YanagisawA-901
(312 posts)
19 years ago

yamahas man??

i dont get it..i played one and wasnt really impressed..it played very smoothly and evenly, but didnt wow me.. my take on it is how can a brand that creats, electronic equipment, atvs, motorcycles, dirtbikes, etc.....make a sax thats worth anything?? id rather stick with a company that is exclusive to its given field. thats like buying a car from a company that is known for their bread and bakery products or somthing.. eh..

[Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

19 years ago

Re: yamahas man??

what do u mean what kidn of band do i have?? what kinda band do i play in?? im in a catholic, all boys school concert band and jazz band..i donno if we have a rank or w/e..but weve put out 4 cd's and we go to adjudications every year and take golds.. dixie classic?? heritage festivals?? i donno.. a few of our guys went to demathus or somthin?? i have no clue

2. by golferguy675
    (600 posts)

19 years ago

Heh, out of any arguement against Yamahas I've heard in my life...discrediting them or saying they don't know saxes, saying they have bad craftsmanship, or anything like that, that one made the most sense. You would think so, wouldn't you? I like them though, It always amazes me that they could produce a finely crafted saxophone along with a dirtbike, but I like my EX better than the new Selmers...go figure.

1. by GordonGekko
      (27 posts)

19 years ago

It's called diversification. Yamaha could buy and sell Selmer all day long. One company may run multiple divisions, but all of them are focused upon making a quality product. Also, there are plenty of resources availble to upgrade plants and implement significant design changes. Remember Japanese cars back in the 70's? They were a joke at the time- today we have Lexus, Infiniti, Toyota, Nissan- all top rated brands. Yamaha has made steady progress in developing professional grade saxophones. I wouldn't be surprised within the next few years if we do not see some pretty high quality instruments come out of China.

3. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

19 years ago

im a big fan of euro cars..bmw, porche, mercedes. but thats not anything to do with sax except keilwerth is kinda euro..haha i hate jap. stuff, sept their bikes, good stuff.. i hate jap stuff but im rockin' a yani-901..go figure.. im not really sayn yamahas are crap, cuz thier not, ive played them and they make very nice instruments.. it just vexes me that they do make good instruments.. but to me there are better instruments out there.. bye bye

4. by FutureBandTeacher
    (45 posts)

19 years ago

Well, I have a pro alto Yamaha, and it "runs like a dream". (Coincidentally, so do their bikes...) It has only needed one repair in the last 3 years and is very easy to play. Some companies I've tried--which only produce saxes--make the roughest horns I've played. They fall apart easier, have lower tone quality, and have thinner pads.

5. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

19 years ago

how old are you future band teacher?? how long have you been playing sax?? how many differnt saxes have you played?? im just wondering, im doubting the fact that you posess a great deal of knowledge or skill on the sax..

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

19 years ago

Well....how's that for a welcome to this board? That wasn't a very nice thing to say... Anyways, how can you tell by one posts how knowlegable or skillful he is? His comments seemed pretty intelligent to me. The thing with trying the yamahas out of stores, is they always need adjustment when they're fresh out of the factory, because they aren't checked very well. I had my EX professionally setup before I ever played it. I really like my Yamaha. I use it just about as much as my Super 20 silversonic and my '54 VI. I find you can get more expression out of the horn for some reason with the new Yamahas over the new Selmers.

6. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

19 years ago

i wasnt tryna be mean at all..but i have a lot of young players in my band, and granted theyre only 3 years younger than me, they act as though they know a lot about music and stuff, but they really suck and show no promise either.. soorrryyyyyyy

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

19 years ago

Like you? Sorry, but what you said was extremely stuck up and arrogant.

1. by GordonGekko
        (27 posts)

19 years ago

I agree with golferguy. To say that other players do not show any potential is both arrogant and ridiculous. Of course with all of your years of experience and advanced music degree, you are qualified to make that determination- right?

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

"Sorry, but what you said was extremely stuck up and arrogant." I'll second that. Besides it's VERY narrow minded to disclude a brand like Yahama just because the "parent company" makes A LOT of products. This is even more true since Yahama saxes have a decent reputation. I would even argue that Yahama would have a better sense of tone and quality than Selmer because they have a whole division dedicated to audio equipment.

2. by jazzfool132
          (144 posts)

19 years ago

i am a proud owner of a YAS-23. although it is only a student model, it plays great. Besides its mostly the sax player than the saxophone. If you had Charlie Parker play a student model horn.. he could still play that thing like nobody's business.

3. by jazzfool132
          (144 posts)

19 years ago

what kind of band do u have Yani dude?

4. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

In Fact, Charlie Parker did end up playing on his student's horns (pawned all his for dope), and in fact he did still play like nobody's buisiness.

5. by jazzfool132
          (144 posts)

19 years ago

parker is amazing that basically sums it up(except for killing himself with drugs)

6. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

19 years ago

drugs didnt kill him - alchohol did - had some kind of adema I think it was.

7. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

news flash... alchohol is a drug! *and is more harmful than weed, but I'm not going to go there.

8. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

19 years ago

to be technical, then so is most every soft drink on the market, coffee, a few preservatives used in food, several types of candies, A LOT of edible goods made in the united states or for the united states has some kind of drug in it

9. by jazzfool132
          (144 posts)

19 years ago

im gunna fire up this old question again...what pro models that yamaha make currently are any good?

10. by GordonGekko
          (27 posts)

19 years ago

Try the Z, the 875 EX, or 62II. In the end, you have to try it out and see if it works for you. What works great for one person may be terrible for the next. Regards, GG

11. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

i usually don't like yamaha alto saxes at all, but the unlaquered Yamaha Z played great!

12. by KCSaxGal
          (46 posts)

19 years ago

I have a sliver tenor 62II and it has a wonderful tone and plays easilly from top to bottom. It's a professional level horn that cost a whole heck of a lot less than a professional level selmer.

13. by SelmerParisPassion
          (59 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, it may sound nice and play nicely, and there may be a price gap... But it's for a REASON!!! Some of us don't like to settle for less than our best while we're playing... so we find it worthwhile to fork out the extra few hundered for the ULTIMATE playing machine.... A Selmer. ;) Christie J

14. by martysax
          (148 posts)

19 years ago

Bird Lives!