Saxophone Forum

by regislea
(7 posts)
9 years ago

Boosey & Hawkes Alto

About forty years ago, I owned and then stupidly sold a B&H alto. It was silver with black buttons, and I would guess fom the 30s. What made it unusual was that all the palm keys were articulated. In other words, if you wanted top F (there was no F#, if my memory is correct), you simply palmed that key and the others (i.e. D, Eb, E) would open automatically. I’ve never seen once like it since - ahough I do see the odd B&H alto for sale on eBay. I have tried to track down the man to whom I sold it without success. Does anyone have one for sale, know of one or have I just dreamed it all? Best regards, Regislea

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Goldref18
    (145 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Boosey & Hawkes Alto

Um i think they're actually selling an old B&H alto on here if u go to vintage horns and then vintage altos. Other than that idk because the B&H are really rare since they were never as big as the other companies. Maybe for good reason. I think that you might like an old Selmer or Conn or Buescher, and maybe even some of the new cannonballs or keilworths. But about the B&H i know of none beside that one they're selling here. If you live near me i know some people who deal old horns and they might find one but im not sure. Best of Luck

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by regislea
      (7 posts)

9 years ago

Thanks for that - couldn’t find the one for sale that you mentioned, although thre’s still an “ordinary” one on eBay. What I’m most intersted in is the unusual keywork. It wasn’t a bad sax - no Selmer granted, but very servicable. Best regards,

Reply To Post

1. by Goldref18
        (145 posts)

9 years ago

That was really cool sounding though. I have never heard of a sax that was articulated in the palm keys that's really awesome. Could save me a lot of trouble. Good luck on your quest.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by regislea
          (7 posts)

9 years ago

It was great to play - it meatn that you could be very fast up at the top - and of course to get E, you only needed to hit the right hand key and thse left hand palm keys would be open. As I remember it, it wasn’t a patricularly complex arrageemnt - but it worked! I was so stupid selling it - but I needed the money at the time and I was working with the tenor much more, so off it went! Thannks for your interest.

Reply To Post

2. by Goldref18
          (145 posts)

9 years ago

Fortunately for me i haven't reached the age of saying "i wish i did this." I'm still trying to avoid that. Ur story is compelling however. I have never tried any B&H saxes before. But i think that articulated palm keys was really cool. Again, best of luck I'll let you know if i see anything

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by regislea
          (7 posts)

9 years ago

You’re lucky then - and try to keep it that way! Best regards, Regislea

Reply To Post