Saxophone Forum

by regislea
(7 posts)
19 years ago

Boosey & Hawkes Alto

About forty years ago, I owned and then stupidly sold a B&H alto. It was silver with black buttons, and I would guess fom the 30s. What made it unusual was that all the palm keys were articulated. In other words, if you wanted top F (there was no F#, if my memory is correct), you simply palmed that key and the others (i.e. D, Eb, E) would open automatically. I’ve never seen once like it since - ahough I do see the odd B&H alto for sale on eBay. I have tried to track down the man to whom I sold it without success. Does anyone have one for sale, know of one or have I just dreamed it all? Best regards, Regislea

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Goldref18
    (145 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Boosey & Hawkes Alto

Um i think they're actually selling an old B&H alto on here if u go to vintage horns and then vintage altos. Other than that idk because the B&H are really rare since they were never as big as the other companies. Maybe for good reason. I think that you might like an old Selmer or Conn or Buescher, and maybe even some of the new cannonballs or keilworths. But about the B&H i know of none beside that one they're selling here. If you live near me i know some people who deal old horns and they might find one but im not sure. Best of Luck

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by regislea
      (7 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for that - couldn’t find the one for sale that you mentioned, although thre’s still an “ordinary” one on eBay. What I’m most intersted in is the unusual keywork. It wasn’t a bad sax - no Selmer granted, but very servicable. Best regards,

Reply To Post

1. by Goldref18
        (145 posts)

19 years ago

That was really cool sounding though. I have never heard of a sax that was articulated in the palm keys that's really awesome. Could save me a lot of trouble. Good luck on your quest.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by regislea
          (7 posts)

19 years ago

It was great to play - it meatn that you could be very fast up at the top - and of course to get E, you only needed to hit the right hand key and thse left hand palm keys would be open. As I remember it, it wasn’t a patricularly complex arrageemnt - but it worked! I was so stupid selling it - but I needed the money at the time and I was working with the tenor much more, so off it went! Thannks for your interest.

Reply To Post

2. by Goldref18
          (145 posts)

19 years ago

Fortunately for me i haven't reached the age of saying "i wish i did this." I'm still trying to avoid that. Ur story is compelling however. I have never tried any B&H saxes before. But i think that articulated palm keys was really cool. Again, best of luck I'll let you know if i see anything

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by regislea
          (7 posts)

19 years ago

You’re lucky then - and try to keep it that way! Best regards, Regislea

Reply To Post