Saxophone Forum

by John Coltrane
(84 posts)
19 years ago

What kind of Bari?

Im currently playing Bari sax at my highschool and i kind of liek it, i was goign to try out for Columbus Youth Jazz Orschestra but i got scared, but i might pursure the bari in college, im currently playing on a yahama intermediate edition model. Im looking to see what bari is more likely to have better tone and and a darker sound. and easily to play low notes with ease. can ya help?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by KCSaxGal
    (46 posts)

19 years ago

Re: What kind of Bari?

Rather than changing the saxophone it would be considerably cheaper to first try a different mouthpiece, ligature and reeds. What are you using now? Never blow off an audition because of fear of failure. You will never make it if you don't try. And if you audition and don't get picked you still have the experience of the audition. Playing in front of judges is scary but the more you do it the better you get.

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
      (297 posts)

19 years ago

whoa, the BS475 isn't that bad. I know bari people playing off junk bundys without an octave key, they somehow just play with overtones. and they're really good. I've heard that the hite bari mouthpiece is really good. might be worth a try.

Reply To Post

1. by Goldref18
        (145 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah Yamaha intermediate Baris are supposed to be really good. I played on that for All-County and some other groups that i had to double on bari on and the only reason i didn't love it was cuz i had a crappy stock mpc and lig and reeds. They are really good. However try some Cannonball Baris and of Course some Series III Baris. (Though Series III or even reference model baris will cost more than your car) But Bari is fun and remember to blow really hard all the time to get the best possible sound. Get a good mpc because that can make more of a difference on Bari then on a lot of other saxes. Good Luck.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by YanagisawA-901
      (312 posts)

19 years ago

this might be pricey..but we have a really old yanigisawa bari..i donno if its vintage status or not, but its definately more than 25 years old.. but we are in the process of a complete overhaul on that bad boy for about 5k.. donno if thats in your pricerange to buy a busted ass bari and get an overhaul but o well

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

3. by John Coltrane
      (84 posts)

19 years ago

my mouthpiece is a otto Link Gold Metal Tonemaster, the facing is a 6. i think the reeds could be the problem, im playing on la voz mediums, but im getting Vandoren ZZ 2.5 here shortly

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by tenor562
        (297 posts)

19 years ago

do they make reference baris? I thought they only made series 2, I'm probably wrong though. Yes, those ZZ's will help, your mouthpiece sounds like it's pretty good.

Reply To Post

1. by John Coltrane
          (84 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah but the ligature the one that came with it, is a bit awkward, it moves the reed from time to time. I might by a olegature or a louis francious here soon.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Goldref18
        (145 posts)

19 years ago

AHHHHHHH LA VOZ. lol no seriously on metal try some Vandoren Javaz they can really bring out the range and dark tone the baris are capable of. ZZs are really good but i would almost unanimously say they work better on hard rubber mpcs.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by John Coltrane
          (84 posts)

19 years ago

alright, ill just have my teacher buy me a box and ill buy zz's see which sound better overall.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by golferguy675
            (600 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, your setup sounds pretty solid to me other than the lig(check the Vandoren Optimum too). I think it's just your throat, airflow and eoumbechre(spelling). Overtime, that stuff will mature on it's own.

Reply To Post

2. by Goldref18
            (145 posts)

19 years ago

Good point. Throat. I forgot about that. Throat on bari makes an enourmous difference. Especially with metal mpcs on a large horn. Let us know how it turns out. Golferguy knows what he's talking about more than i do so listen to him. Remeber time heals all things.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by John Coltrane
            (84 posts)

19 years ago

yeah, but i still regreat it, everyone that plays in youth jazz, says the bari player kind of **sucks**, and he blmaes everything on his horn, and his tone is terrible, now everyones like you would of actually tooken his postion at bari, but its my first yr playing bari. but ill tell you guys the outcome, im just waiting for my ligature for my alto...( Selmer 62 Series 3)

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by Goldref18
            (145 posts)

19 years ago

You are an eagle among turkeys i see. Well give it time and soon ur band leader will realize who's where in the band.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

5. by John Coltrane
            (84 posts)

19 years ago

yeah hopefully, i can still go to the italy trip with them, and maybe play some.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

6. by barimachine
            (323 posts)

19 years ago

goldref WHAT ARE U TALKING you dont wanna "blow as hard as possible all the time" the key to getting the best sound is all in the throat not how hard u can blow... youll never last long also they dont make either a reference or series III bari only series II and the III's will be out later this year...but there a mistake

Reply To Post

7. by johnsonfromwisconsin
            (767 posts)

19 years ago

---------------------------------------------------------------------- Though Series III or even reference model baris will cost more than your car ---------------------------------------------------------------------- I would think that they would indeed, given that they don't exist.

Reply To Post

8. by johnsonfromwisconsin
            (767 posts)

19 years ago

Goldref18: ----------------------------------------------------------------------- But Bari is fun and remember to blow really hard all the time to get the best possible sound. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Er, you do realize he's trying to play a saxophone, not a bagpipe, right?

Reply To Post

9. by John Coltrane
            (84 posts)

19 years ago

Lol...or i could be playing both?

Reply To Post Yahoo!

10. by golferguy675
            (600 posts)

19 years ago

Ok, about this blowing hard all the time thing... There is actually valuable advice along those lines. You don't need to be blowing hard all the time, but you do at the same time, let me explain. You need to always have that pressure built up behind the mouthpeice and the pressure or how much air you're putting out shouldn't hardly change at all. You need to be pushing just as hard on a pianissimo as you would on a forte, you're just letting more air out on a forte. Also, this way you can go from one dynamic to another much quicker, just release more, you've already got it there. I believe the term would be support.

Reply To Post

11. by johnsonfromwisconsin
            (767 posts)

19 years ago

thanks for the clarification golfer ;)

Reply To Post

12. by John Coltrane
            (84 posts)

19 years ago

yes thank you for clearing up the overblowing issue...name change to my fav sex player.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

13. by Goldref18
            (145 posts)

19 years ago

Dear lord. That's discraceful.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

14. by John Coltrane
            (84 posts)

19 years ago

wow, i never knew i put "sex", meant to say sax, sorry for the mis understanding.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

15. by Goldref18
            (145 posts)

19 years ago

Haha s'all good.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM