Saxophone Forum

by Kitch22
(98 posts)
19 years ago

Tenor Mouthpiece

I play alto sax and have played it for 4 years. Right now, I am taking private lessons from a professional saxophonist. Recently, I have been asked to join a sax quartet, and I will alomst certainly be playing tenor. I don't have all that much experience on a tenor, but I can play one almost as well as alto. I am looking into some mouthpieces to buy (hard rubber); I want a jazz mpc, as I won't ever be playing anything close to classical. Some pieces I've been looking at are Otto Links, Berg Larsens, Claude Lakeys, and possibly a Selmer Super Session. When I'm ready to buy one, I'll order a few to try out from wwbw.com, so help me out and give a several recommendations.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by k.o. kid
    (14 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Tenor Mouthpiece

I've played the same Meyer hard rubber mouthpiece for25 years. It blows very easily and has a nice, rich sound. It is ideal for someone who plays semi-regularily. I also have a Meyer metal, and I always revert back to the trusty hard rubber variety. It can play loud enough to keep up with the trumpet guys, too. I've heard that the newer ones are not quite as good as the vintage styles, but I'm not sure how much real difference there is. I highly recommend them.

Reply To Post

2. by tenor562
    (297 posts)

19 years ago

I've heard Meyers are good, but those aren't on your list. My teacher is a fan of meyers. They don't make Selmer Super Sessions for tenor, which stinks, but I've heard the Otto Link New York isn't a bad piece. I don't know much about mouthpieces, but wwbw is a good place to try stuff if you are near indiana. You can try unlimited mouthpieces, spend all day there, and you'll end up with a great mouthpiece.

Reply To Post

1. by Kitch22
      (98 posts)

19 years ago

How 'bout a post or two . . . . . .

Reply To Post

1. by martysax
        (148 posts)

19 years ago

I haven't bought a new mouthpiece since the 70s, so I would'nt be any help with the new stuff. For vintage dark sound I use an Otto Link 8* early florida. It does everything necessary. When I'm looking for the killerrock/blues/maddness sound, the Dukoff D8 is the standard. It's like injecting nitrous.

Reply To Post

2. by senior
      (23 posts)

19 years ago

I have been playing a Meyer G, That has been very good. Just recieved a Jody Jazz HR. It is made along the lines of the old Otto links. I found this piece to be outstanding. I am using a Optimum ligature and Vandoren ZZ #3 reeds. The piece is a 6*.

Reply To Post

1. by jazzfool132
        (144 posts)

19 years ago

i want to know more about the meyers mouthpiece...

Reply To Post

1. by senior
          (23 posts)

19 years ago

Here is a link that will help and they have a good price. The mouthpiece is based on the old meyer pieces. Has a nice vintage sound to it. Easy blow through the entire range of the horn. I also have the Jody Jazz HR. This one is based on the vintage otto links. Pretty much the same sound as the meyer but easyier blowing and better control. Higher price. www.saxplus.com/meyer.html

Reply To Post

1. by jazzfool132
            (144 posts)

19 years ago

so are the meyers easy to play that i wont want to return it?

Reply To Post

2. by senior
            (23 posts)

19 years ago

I would not say that. Each person is different and thier likes in mouthpieces are different. I would only pick this mouthpiece for the sound, not for ease of play, even though it is easy to play. I think the best mouthpieces for ease of play would be the Runyon or the Jody Jazz.

Reply To Post