Saxophone Forum

by Dirty_Reggae
(55 posts)
19 years ago

I need some advice

Im a student in highschool and i take music very seriously. I play alto and tenor sax, but i dont have a tenor sax! Im always borrowing my friends yamaha but it would be really nice to have my own. I have an old Holton Collegiate that was my grandpas that is in very bad condition and would need a complete overhaul. Ive never played on a holton and im kinda sceptical cuz i hear kinda bad things. Should i over haul the collegiate?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Goldref18
    (145 posts)

19 years ago

Re: I need some advice

IDK how much you could get for it but idk if i would bother overhauling it when you could probably get a pretty decent affordable horn. what kind of alto do you play on and what kind of tenor is this elusive one that you always borrow? What your used to might make a difference.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Dirty_Reggae
      (55 posts)

19 years ago

I play on a Conn Naked Lady alto, thats my baby. Ive looked into 6m tenors and they're out of my price range. My friends is a Yamaha YTS-52 the school also has a student yamaha, not sure of the brand name. I like vintage horns, but im not too picky.

Reply To Post

1. by Goldref18
        (145 posts)

19 years ago

So i would look for a Mark VII because they play amazingly (despite what SaxMan says) and they are really affordable since they are not as sought after as a Mark VI which should ultimately be your goal. God Bless the Conn Naked Lady, what a horn. I don't personally play on one primarily but i still say that is an excellent choice.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Selmer Fan88
          (15 posts)

19 years ago

I don't want to stress Saxman's prejudice's about the Mark VII, but look out for a "Martin". If you find one, try it. If you don't like it's over anyway, but I'm sure you would enjoy it.Also the martins aren't to expensive.

Reply To Post

2. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

go to www.saxontheweb.net Look at the articles by Paul Coats and Pete Hales on the subject; they have a ton of good advice. Also, check out their discussion forum; I find everyone there really helpful!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM