Saxophone Forum

by rouse
(3 posts)
19 years ago

Conn 10M

I have a Conn 10M that was bought used in 1977. I played it for many years in grade school and have kept it all these years. Would someone tell me what the difference is in the 10M and all the other types?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by peter090
    (155 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Conn 10M

The 10M is one of Conns pro model horns. They have a unique sound and were probably the most popular tenor for jazz until the Mark VI. There is a lot of opinion on the relative value of early vs. late model horns. Personally I've found that they vary a lot and have found great playing (and not so great playing) 10M's in various vintages. I've played a '47 silver 10m for about 25 years now and like it as much as any other horn I've played.

Reply To Post

1. by rouse
      (3 posts)

19 years ago

Thank you for the information. The serial number is L75257. From what I have found so far on the net, I think this is either a late 60's model or an early 70's model. Still searching for the exact year it was manufactured. I do know that when I was in school, it had a warm, mellow sound compared to the new student horns. It still plays and sounds the same after all these years. Thanks again for responding. Sharon

Reply To Post

2. by rouse
      (3 posts)

19 years ago

Thank you for the information. The serial number is L75257. From what I have found so far on the net, I think this is either a late 60's model or an early 70's model. Still searching for the exact year it was manufactured. I do know that when I was in school, it had a warm, mellow sound compared to the new student horns. It still plays and sounds the same after all these years. Thanks again for responding. Sharon

Reply To Post

1. by Goldref18
        (145 posts)

19 years ago

Conn 10M's are really good, and if nothing else, they are also called the Naked Lady. That's something to be proud of.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

it's a 1968 Model. Probably one of the last of the 10M's. The most valuable 10M's were built from 1934-1956. Those built prior to 1948 with the rolled tone holes are the most avaluable, although personally I love my 1948 10M without rolled holes. I don't remember when Conn actually quit making the 10M. It seems like they stopped making them for a few years and then brought them back for a couple years before shipping all production to Mexico, but I THINK even the later 10M's were US made. If anyone has any information on this please let me know if I'm right or wrong. The later 10M's were based on the 1948 (non-rolled tone hole) design, but the craftsmanship was not as good.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by selmersaxman
      (13 posts)

19 years ago

I love my 10M!!!! The sound! I always get complements on my sound. The robust fullness. Sometimes I want a "faster horn"....but Im a musician that loves sound and the depth, so thats hard to get with new horns. My 10M is 280,xxx

Reply To Post