Saxophone Forum

by SFC
(1 post)
9 years ago

Entry level question

Good day - I am new to the saxophone and would like to ask a few questions. I am 49 and hope to start saxophone lessons. This is something I have wanted to do since I was a kid and I now have time to practice. I do have a little music background so I am excited to get started. I plan on renting first before buying and I am going to find an instructor. I hope to start on a tenor sax - I love the sound of a tenor. I do have a history of mild lung disease so my question is about the amount of air needed with a tenor. I realize its a larger instrument when compared to an alto but I also think with a larger instrument there is more air needed but less pressure needed. My lung disease is relatively in check. I am also a cyclists and I can manage 30-40 miles on a bicycle. Is a tenor reasonable as an entry-level sax for an adult and for someone with mild lung disease? 

Thanks for any thoughts, insight, and questions. I want to do this right from the get-go.

S  

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Entry level question

I think the work you are doing on the bike, plus doing the tenor as well, will be a great help for your lungs. By all means play tenor. I play tenor and alto both and I don't notice a big difference between them as far as amount of air needed?

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by JonHuff
      (117 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Entry level question

Good advice. Young kids start more on alto because of the size difference, but as an adult you can start on either one comfortably. Good luck with it!

Reply To Post