Saxophone Forum

by Goldref18
(145 posts)
19 years ago

Engraving Versus Sound

I know that on a lot of horns that are really cheap and student models getting them engraved makes no difference but i have heard mixed opinions about engravings on good old horns. I think that on Vintage horns, as i have heard, it's basically like millions of little scratches that really hurt the sound of the horn, that's why the factories that originally produced them figured out exactly where they could and couldn't engrave. So does anyone know from experience the effect of engravings on vintage horns?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Engraving Versus Sound

Common sense alone tells me engraving can't effect tone on any horn to any degree a human will notice. Well, unless you engrave the inside of the neck or something silly like that.

Reply To Post

1. by Goldref18
      (145 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Engraving Versus Sound

Well but if you put a dent or a scratch on a horn it will effect the sound because of the way it will alter the metal's vibrations and the sound waves through the horn. But im not sure if engraving is the same thing. And if you get a custom engraving, do they have to delaq the horn first? Also, a little off topic, does anyone know if Cannonball's are RALLY engraved by lasers? I have heard from many places they are but that seems ridiculous.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM