Saxophone Forum

by jushden
(17 posts)
9 years ago

refacing mouthpieces

i have tons and tons of mouthpiece blanks for tenor and for alto. i am interested in learning how to reface and alter mouthpieces so that i might be able to make decent mouthpieces for myself. does anyone out there know if there is a book i could use to learn or any websites where i could learn about how to do this. also, what specific tools will i need and where could i get them. any help would be great. thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Goldref18
    (145 posts)

9 years ago

Re: refacing mouthpieces

Go to a big music store and find out. I also think that it's cool to make your own reeds from reed blanks but it's kinda hard and i dunno too much about carving up cane. But i would look at www.wwbw.com for books on mpc carving.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

9 years ago

hes talking abotu mouthpieces. Get the ralph morgan refacing kit, a digital feeler gauge, something perfectly flat - a slab of granite or marble, then email johannes gerber for the rest of the tools and literature on the subject.

Reply To Post

1. by Goldref18
        (145 posts)

9 years ago

Where can you actually buy mpc blanks, and what do they look like?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

9 years ago

it could be anything - even a regular mouthpiece that you just want to totally redo - I have about 6 blanks for refacing, but I havent found time for them yet - all are just student model mouthpieces. blanks for the sake of being blanks look just like the mouthpieces that the manufacturer makes. I think you can get blanks from babbit, but dont know of any modern suppliers - you can also get used blanks, like buescher blanks or conn blanks, but those can be expensive. (for a blank.) another thing for that kit that I forgot - you might want to get a few different tip wands so you can make a few of the different facing curves.

Reply To Post