Saxophone Forum

by karebear1012
(395 posts)
19 years ago

Are Jupiters any good??

Hey, i was just wondering what jupiter alto saxophones play like and everything. When I was searching for a trumpet, I was very strictly told NOT to buy a jupiter, but I was wondering if that's the same for alto saxophones. What makes a Jupiter so popular? Price? Tone quality? Are they any good for someone who's looking for a pro horn? or are they better for beginners? Thanks! Kara

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by tenor562
    (297 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Are Jupiters any good??

i tried a jupiter artist tenor, and didn't think it was special. I suppose it's price.

Reply To Post

2. by sparklinasaxgrl
    (4 posts)

19 years ago

i had a jupiter alto sax. it was my first sax in 5th grade, its def. a beginner horn, the plastic coating began to come off after a bit. I mean its cheap (like maybe around 350 or less) its likt a bundy II, maybe a step below a bundy II, which is also a beginner horn.

Reply To Post

1. by karebear1012
      (395 posts)

19 years ago

what about a pro Jupiter alto sax? i dont think i'll ever buy one...i just want to know if i should even consider it.. thanks!

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
        (297 posts)

19 years ago

it's silver plated with a sterling silver neck and gold keys. Ok case, but pretty heavy in my opinion. Sounded sorta tinny and metalish in my opinion, maybe i just don't knoiw my ears yet. I've heard many good opinions about them, but I'd compare them to somewhere between the Yamaha 23 and the 475 in my opinion;

Reply To Post

1. by saxgrobie
          (86 posts)

19 years ago

I have a Jupiter alto. I'll admit, its certainly not the greatest, but it works for me. I have had mine since the seventh grade when I was relatively new to the sax. I had only been playing for like a year and a half. I like the sound that I get out of it. Better than my friend's Yamaha, anyway. I haven't had a problem with the sound on it, but it's starting to lose its luster. I had it for 3 years now. (I'm a sophomore.) I know that I haven't taken the best care of it. Marching band has taken its toll on it. Its got a few scratches and the brass has started to get slightly discolored right underneath two of the keys. Otherwise, it's suited me great. Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

I like the Jupiter Artist series in both Tenor and Alto. They have a nice tone, good keywork and ergonomics, and have an improved reputation among techs compared to jupiter a number of years ago.

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Jupiters are better than they used to be, but I still think they're a fair intermediate sax at best. Kara, check out the Keilwerth saxes. Out of all the newer saxes I've played, I love the Keilwerth SX series the best! The ST's and JK models are also very nice. Ask around and see if you have a dealer nearby. Musicians Friend just started selling them online. www.musiciansfriend.com

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by sparklinasaxgrl
        (4 posts)

19 years ago

i love selmer paris for pro saxes. if ur gonna go pro, i wouldnt advise a jupiter

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Selmer Paris is ALWAYS a good choice! Selmer has been one of the industry favorites for several years. I think they're a little pricey though. In a NEW tenor, I'd go with an SX 90 Keilwerth hands down over anything else. In an alto or soprano, I think I would lean slightly towards the Selmer.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by karebear1012
            (395 posts)

19 years ago

yeah, i really wanted a Selmer Reference, but it's out of my price range... my next choice was actually a Keilwerth, but I really wanted silver nickel, which we can't find in the 2000s... any ideas?

Reply To Post

1. by barisaxiguy
              (50 posts)

19 years ago

what about the deluxe series jupiter bari?

Reply To Post

2. by jazzfool132
              (144 posts)

19 years ago

i heard to stay away from alto keilwerth in a few websites i cant confirm this but are they better than what is said about them?

Reply To Post

3. by karebear1012
              (395 posts)

19 years ago

oh, really? i just heard to stay away from yanis...because the tone is "tinny" or something. hey hey, todayz my birthday !=)

Reply To Post

4. by saxgrobie
              (86 posts)

19 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! :-) Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

5. by barimachine
              (323 posts)

19 years ago

happy birthday day kara -stobie...or andrew

Reply To Post

6. by karebear1012
              (395 posts)

19 years ago

thanks!

Reply To Post

7. by karebear1012
              (395 posts)

19 years ago

so what's goin on andrew? havent talked to you in a while. nothing much round here...it's so cold outside with all the snow and stuff!! I'm still searching for the perfect sax in the price range....not much luck so far though. I have some friends who go to Berklee, so i'm gonna see if they can get me any discounts or anything. I really want to go to their summer programs this year! My mom said i can only go if i don't do lacrosse camp or a church missions trip...... hard choice.... so my huge breakup is all gone now. I'm not sad over it anymore because i realized that everything happens for a reason.... and if that guy said he never really loved me, so be it. i would think i'd deserve someone who actually CARES.... since i'm not sad, the slow song for district band isn't as emotional now lol. that sorta sux because the auditions are this saturday. i'm sooo nervous -- my teacher said he thinks i have a really good chance, but they only take 3 or 4 altos....so good luck to me. lol. plus i'm only a freshman. my teacher is awesome though ...he's played with like the four tops, and the temptations and stuff. I really want to be as good as him someday - he's amazing on the sax. well i g2g cya, Kara

Reply To Post

8. by JaZzer
              (25 posts)

19 years ago

I'd say go to the jamey aebersold workshops, they work wonders. Anywho, I have a SBA Alto, for Jazz and a artist series alto (the silver one) for concert. It works well for jazz abd concert though. I'd say it's a great pro sax, as in, people who say they are intermediate haven't relly picked one up to actually find out. The only problem I'd say is if you're playin' out real loud to fill in a 4,000 seat auditriom w/out a mike, go for a vintage. I got my SBA for 2,500, decent price. The artist will back up on you if, so it's not to good for flexibility or altissimo (good for concert and latin music anyway). HOWEVER, THE ARTIST IS MADE OF STERLING SILVER AND WILL DENT VERY EASILY. So it's not the best choice for marching band. If you're goin' for jazz, I'd say vintage selmer sba or vi if you can find it at the right price, concert band, the artist will do just fine. O, and Keilwerth saxes are great (they just don't fit in all cases). I bought an old conn 10m from 1954, and it had some damage, so I use my friend's ST90, it doesn't have the same tonal quality as the 10m, but it plays great, and you can really sing with it. Have fun. Carlos-sophomore (performing arts high school)

Reply To Post

9. by karebear1012
              (395 posts)

19 years ago

what do you mean they dont fit in all cases?

Reply To Post

10. by JaZzer
              (25 posts)

19 years ago

i mean that the saxes design doesn't fit in most carrying cases

Reply To Post

11. by karebear1012
              (395 posts)

19 years ago

ooooh alright.