Saxophone Forum

by Drorsh
(2 posts)
9 years ago

I need an advice about my MC gregory mouthpiece.

I have the very rare old MC GEGORY 4A 20.
The mouthpiece itself sound not less than amazing. And belive me I tried all kinds. It got this old school Jazz dark tone. very good for melodic stuff.

The problem is, I cant enjoy it in scenarios when I need to push it. To be out there. to scearm. This is a very close tip mouthpiece.

I love it cause for me it is very easy to play (like the otto links tone edge). When I bouth it the seller told me "Ja, its 4, but Gregorys 4 is ilke otto link 6*" since then, whenever im playing with drums around, i blow like crazy but it is too weak. Then I go to some plastic Rico royal 7 with a shitty tone but crazy volume. the Gregory is useless.

Now - I can open it up...I heard it can be done with some mouthpieces.
         I can save it for playing alone for practice (but it will be silly)
          I can sell it and strat looknig for replacemnt again and I really dont want to do that.

A. does opning it will make a huge difference in the output?
B. Is it worth "damaging" and Moding such a rare old piece?

Im confused.

Thanx 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

9 years ago

Re: I need an advice about my MC gregory mouthpiece.

First, a Gregory mouthpiece is simply not a screamer mouthpiece. Paul Desmond played a Gregory for a reason. It can get a very sweet sound and its a very responsive mouthpiece. But again, its not a screamer. I would recommend keeping the Gregory in its current condition and use it for your smaller combo gigs where you want a sweeter more mellow sound. Get a different mouthpiece to do the edgier stuff.

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by Drorsh
      (2 posts)

9 years ago

Re: I need an advice about my MC gregory mouthpiece.

Thanx for the pov.
      I just want to mention that the piece is for tenor cause i didnt earlier.

The Gregry is a real sweet mellow and very round tone. 

Reply To Post