Saxophone Forum

by Gumptious
(40 posts)
19 years ago

Modes

Can someone help me with my order of modes? Ionian, Dorian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Locrian, Aeolian... i know im forgetting some and dont have them in the right order. Also, what mode is D blues? (D, E, F, G#, A, B,C i think?) if im wrong what IS the D Blues scale?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by The_MarkVI
    (80 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Modes

i cant think of the modes off my head and the D blues D F G G# A C D im pretty sure

Reply To Post

1. by Gumptious
      (40 posts)

19 years ago

So G natural IS in D Blues, B natural is not?

Reply To Post

2. by peter090
    (155 posts)

19 years ago

In order ionian dorian phrygian lydian mixolydian aeolian locrian Typically D blues scale would be D, F, G, G#, A C, D It isn't really a mode. It is a set of notes that just sort of grew out of the blues. I'm sure you could find all sorts of stuff by ethnomusicologists about theories of how the scale origintaed but I think if you just mess around with it for five minutes it will just sort of start to sound bluesy to you. What you have listed is the 4th "mode" of A harmonic minor which is another altogether cool mode which would work really well with a minor ii7(b5) V7 (b9) in A minor among other things.

Reply To Post

1. by Gumptious
      (40 posts)

19 years ago

oh my gosh..i have so much to learn about chords. whats a good website that will teach me as much as i can get? i dont know what these 5, 7, 9th chords are, what those V7 and ii7 things u just put are. i really need to know these quickly when im improving while sight reading a piece i dont have to guess what notes are in them.

Reply To Post

1. by The_MarkVI
        (80 posts)

19 years ago

no book can do it as well as a teacher can get a good jazz musician. he doesnt have to be a great player, just a great teacher

Reply To Post

1. by Hexaclon
          (90 posts)

19 years ago

Try www.teoria.com

Reply To Post AIM

2. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

Wow, you're lost. You need a private teacher, because you're going to lead yourself in the wrong direction, and the longer it is, the farther you go down the wrong road. The clear up your little blues scaled inquiry, the formula for a blues scale is 1, b3, 4, b5, 5, 7, 1 So the 4, b5, and 5 creats some chromatisicm and that and the b3 is where the sound comes from.

Reply To Post

2. by peter090
        (155 posts)

19 years ago

You probably know more than you think. A lot of it is just terminology. Knowing the terminology makes it easier to talk about but you'll pick it up as you go along. One of the best online jazz primers I've seen is at www.outsideshore.com/primer/primer It is pretty clear without being too oversimplified. A private teacher is really the best bet.

Reply To Post