Saxophone Forum

by ThinkSaxophones
(1 post)
9 years ago

Low notes turn to high notes.

Hi there. I just recently started playing the saxophone a few weeks ago and I've pretty much got most of the basics down except for low notes. When I play any note lower than F it turns into a high version of that note. So if I were to play high E and let go of the octave key it would sound the same. The same thing happens if I were to just go down note by note. I need help with this is it my fault or the saxophone's. Also worth mentioning is that I played the clarinet before the saxophone so it might have something to do with that. Any help is appreciated :)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Low notes turn to high notes.

A saxophone embouchure is different from a clarinet embouchure.  If you are still tucking your lip in over your lower teeth you need to change that.  Take plenty of mouthpiece into your mouth beyond the break of the tip opening, rest your top teeth lightly on the mouthpiece, and roll your lower lip out slightly.  Keep the corners of your mouth at the level of the reed.  Play long tones, working your way down.  If after several days of practice you're still having difficulty, you might try a softer reed.  It would also help to have at least one lesson with an instructor who can see what you are doing and correct any bad habits that they see developing.  If there are none in your area, skype lessons are available.

Reply To Post