Saxophone Forum

by rednecksax
(24 posts)
19 years ago

reed prices

Are alexander reeds really worth it? They are twice the price of vandorens (which i hate) but if they last and are wonderful reeds, I'm game to switch. I play alto in 11th grade and pay for all of my musical needs. And please dont let this turn into a hissyfit because I'm getting annoyed by that crap. I'm just a country boy looking for a great reed, and if I want a fight, I'd rather do it in person.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by baronvonmeskel
    (17 posts)

19 years ago

Re: reed prices

This is an old post, so I'm not sure anybody will read it. Anyways, I tried the Alexander reeds and was impressed and dissapointed at the same time. They are good consistant reeds and I enjoyed how long of a life they have. The thing I didn't like was the fact that you need to put them through a pretty thorough break in process. I hate that. I like to wet a reed down, slap it on and be able to play it within a few minutes. I don't like to have to take time out of practicing for three days to break in a reed. If you decide to go with them I would suggest keeping some cheaper reeds for backup in case you break an alexander. that was you can slap one on while you start the three day break in process.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: reed prices

Have you tried LaVos? I used them for years until my local music store quit selling them in favor of Vanduren reeds. I have been using Vanduren V16's, and at first I liked them, but the last couple boxes just didn't feel the same and I think I may order some more LaVos reads online. The Rico Royal reeds aren't too bad either.

Reply To Post Yahoo!