Saxophone Forum

by ScottSax
(3 posts)
19 years ago

Yamaha 875

Hey has anyone here tried that horn and if so what did you think. I am a player in college who is looking for a new horn. Thanks, SCott

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Yamaha 875

Try it for yourself. Who else's opinion matters but your own?

Reply To Post

1. by p-apple
      (49 posts)

19 years ago

Although it's a pretty decent horn, for me I didn't find it to be a must-have horn. I thought the sound of the horn was pretty weak and doesn't really offer the quality of projection that selmer offers. If you have the chance to test out the horn, by all means do so.

Reply To Post

1. by ScottSax
        (3 posts)

19 years ago

I just and looking around for anything new because I feel as if I am blowing through by 990 Yanigasawa. I love the horn but it isn't holding as tuff as it used to. I have had it overhauled and everything but I have been told that this horn can handle a lot of support and blowing. Also I tried all the selmers all the recent models of the selmer series and I enjoyed the reference 54 but that was it.

Reply To Post

1. by Geno
          (5 posts)

19 years ago

i tried out a yamaha custom z unlaquered recently (alto), and it blew anything else i've been trying out of the water... ie. reference, cannonball, series III, my old mark IV. also if you're on a tight budget... a great price. even if you're not on a tight budget, this horn is amazing.

Reply To Post

2. by nad1rn
        (37 posts)

19 years ago

i play an 82z and it is the sh@!. I compared it at Tenor Madness against a mark 6 and a selmer super action 80 and it was by far the best horn. it's made for jazz but with an S80 mouthpiece it has a really good classical sound. If you can try it against other horns, that is the way to go. it's how it sounds to YOU that matters.

Reply To Post AIM