Saxophone Forum

by irishangel
(1 post)
19 years ago

New To Sax, Need Advice.

Hi everyone, I was looking for info on the Sax and came across this site.. Its been really informative! Im a bass trombone player, but I also play flute and piano. Nearly everything I play is Jazz, and so Im thinking on the Sax as my next instrument to conquer. I need advice as to which type of instrument, i.e. Alto, Tenor etc is best for jazz (is there one that is best??) and also, which pitch is most compatible with brass instruments. As im starting out I also need advice as to what model of horn plus what kind of reeds you all would recommend. Although I have the theory of music with piano, nearly all my music is "by ear" and improv, so reccomendations of some basic guides on the rudiments of sax, to help get me started would be good too. (Ones available on the internet preferably as im in Ireland and most of you seem to be in the US). Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Selmer Fan88
    (15 posts)

19 years ago

Re: New To Sax, Need Advice.

If you can spend a few money, I just would suggest you the Selmer "Réference 54" which is near the legendary "Mark VI". Well, there isn't a "best" Sax for Jazz, but I really like the Tenorsound for it. You should check what kind of reeds you can play. At first try an easy one, so you can see if you need a harder one

Reply To Post

1. by karebear1012
      (395 posts)

19 years ago

Well, I play the trumpet and the alto sax, and i've been finding it really hard to tune because I get the keys mixed up (alto is in Eb). I would probably suggest the tenor sax, which is in the same key as the trumpet. The Reference is an awesome horn, but it's really expensive! Also look for other Selmers (series II or III), keilwerth, Yanigasawa, yamaha. But keep in mind that you're just starting, so it's not like you need an awesome pro horn yet. Maybe try renting one or something to make sure you're going to keep playing it. Good luck!

Reply To Post

1. by Selmer Fan88
        (15 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, ok...But think about it. I play now the fourth year on a YAS-275, and I really need a better horn...I'm just going to buy a "Réference 54".

Reply To Post