Saxophone Forum

by bariguy
(25 posts)
19 years ago

Good Tenor Sax For Jazz

Hey i'm playing lead tenor in my jazz band this year. right now i'm playing on a silver plated YTS-62, and an Otto Link NY 7. I love the mouthpiece but the sax aint that good. I really want a Couf Superba 1, but i cant find one. I've heard old Kings are good and i wish i could get a MK 6 or balanced action. Any ideas?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dirty_Reggae
    (55 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Good Tenor Sax For Jazz

There are hundreds of good tenors out there. It depends on your price range. Personally i love vintage kings are great and suprisingly affordable. Id go for that or, if price isn't an obsticle, you cant go wrong with a Mk 6 or a yamaha z custom. If price IS an option (like me) the mk 7 plays beautifully and is less sought after than a 6. Good luck buddy.

Reply To Post

1. by barimachine
      (323 posts)

19 years ago

id say a conn 10 m is the best tenor

Reply To Post

1. by peter090
        (155 posts)

19 years ago

What's "not good" about your yamaha? Most jazz players play Selmer Mark VI of SBA. That is why they are so spendy. Supply and demand. That said if you can't play it on a 62 you won't be able to play it on a Mark VI.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

"id say a conn 10 m is the best tenor" I'll put my 10M up to any other horn out there... I belive it plays just as good, sounds great, and it's 1000's less than other brands. =)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by jazzfool132
          (144 posts)

19 years ago

16m's are good too. You can really honk on that horn!! Built like a truck!

Reply To Post

3. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

10M's are great jazz horns, though Selmers are more resistant which some people like. My horn of choice for jazz is actually a C-Melody. I'm primarily an alto player, so using a JJ A55 works great for me. My tenor embouchre control has a LOT to be desired. The C-Mel doesn't project very much, however. I absolutely love the tone I get out of it - it's just not very loud. Perfect for church when we do gospel/rockin' songs. I could blast the veneer right off the lectern with my 10M/JJ T55, but that's not really my bag. Upside/downside of playing a C-Mel is the music may or may not be written in that key.

Reply To Post

4. by peter090
          (155 posts)

19 years ago

Couldn't agree more. I think for the money vintage martins, conns and kings are great values. I've played a '47 conn for quite some time now and have never felt the need to change. That said MOST jazz tenor players choose vintage selmers. If I were looking for a new horn I'd probably look at another 10m, Selmer Mark VI, SBA, and Mark VII (some play really well). I'd also try all the top line modern horns. None have done it for me so far but if you are looking for a horn you are looking for a horn NOT a model of horn. Pro horns don't all play alike ESPECIALLY vintage horns.

Reply To Post

2. by bariguy
        (25 posts)

19 years ago

i can play jazz on my yamaha just fine it just doesnt have the feel i like. i am used to playing a couf superba 1, which in my opinion has a fatter darker tone.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by Selmer Fan88
        (15 posts)

19 years ago

Are really good Jazzsax is a "Martin" Tenorsax... I've got a new "Réference 54", but I even prefer the martin's technik and it's really huge sound. you can play it barking like Eddie "Lockchaw" Davies or quiet and soft like Paul Desmond or Stan Getz. I love it.

Reply To Post