Saxophone Forum

by karebear1012
(395 posts)
19 years ago

Mouthpieces

I've been searching for a new mouthpiece lately, and at districts there was this guy who had a clear one. Is that just a personal preference on the look of the mouthpiece, or does it do anything to the tone? Also, what mouthpieces do you all recommend for jazz? So far people have told me I should get a Meyer 5 or 6. Thanks! Kara

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chiamac
    (586 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Mouthpieces

INHO a clear piece would suck... just think of how it would look after a little use.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by John Coltrane
    (84 posts)

19 years ago

hmm, would this be your first mouthpiece, even if it was a clear one...eww. Myer 6 or 7, 5's are like people who have good sound but not loud sound. My friend in jazz band plays on a 6 and he has it screaming half the time when he plays. its because the chambe is so small and he uses a lot of air. but i would recommend a 6 or 7 not a 5. look into otto links to, they have some nice hard rubber mouth pieces. metal mouth pieces are sometimes to bright to use.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by Tenor_Guru
    (25 posts)

19 years ago

I think a great jazz mouthpiece is a vintage Selmer Soloist model... Personally, I play a Soloist E If your looking for a decent metal, go with an Otto Link.

Reply To Post AIM

4. by Eccles
    (4 posts)

19 years ago

Crystal peices may not be attractive...but for classical are amazing!!! for jazz however...Meyers are great, andif you playing tenor, any Otto Link that is metal is good as well. I hope I've been of help!

Reply To Post AIM

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

Clear mouthpieces, unless you are eating as you play (thats a big NO NO!!) dont get disgusting other than te fact you can see all the spit. I have a pomarico crystal mpc for my alto, and its a nice, dark classical piece. A freind of mine has a clear Conn Comet piece from the 40s, and a Dukoff clear super power chamber(like the one on saquest a while back if any of you remember) Both play great, and dont look any nastier than a Jody Jazz or a Runyon. I also have a clear crytal and a clear plastic mpc for my trumpet - same results on the look; and the same goes for another freind's cleat Tiba mpc.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

5. by jusjop
    (5 posts)

19 years ago

Some clear mouthpeices are acrylic. my friend has an acrylic dukoff mouthpeice, only made in a factory here in miami. their main purpose isnt look, its the tone. i play on a meyer 5 for jazz and it works for me, but the only way to know whats best for you is to try them out.

Reply To Post AIM